Monday, August 22, 2011

Happy 10th Birthday!

My boys are ten!!
The boys had a great day.  They woke up and went with me to the DMV to get my handicapped placards renewed.  On the way, Mosey snapped a picture of each of them at the very minute they actually turned 10 years old (8:23 AM for Joseph, 8:28 AM for Brigham).  On the way home, we stopped for breakfast at McDonalds.  Our tradition is for them to choose their favorite cereal for their birthday breakfast, but since I bought the cereal on Saturday, and neglected to forbid them from eating it until today, most of it was already gone by this morning.  :-)  They both chose Pocketini, a German cereal-- yummy little crunchy nuggets filled with nutella-esque chocolate.  So, it was sausage mcmuffins and smoothies instead.
We went home and got ready for piano lessons, and then they got their first present of the day which was when we went to piano lessons and realized that there are no lessons this week because it's the first week of school for most kids.  Oops!  So anyway, the boys got the morning off from piano lessons.
After lunch we went to our friend's house to swim.  This is the friend with the great big golden doodle whom my kids love and adore.  They had such a fun time, and even managed to get Hannah to jump into the pool once!  We had to leave in order to get Joseph to flute lessons.  They said next time they want to go over early in the morning and stay ALL day.  :-)
Joseph's lesson went fine, and then it was home again.  Ben came home early and we ordered Papa John's pizza for dinner.
Then, the boys "opened" their present, which was really an email from Southwest with the itinerary for a surprise trip to L.A. tomorrow morning!  I got the tickets a few months ago when Southwest was having a ridiculously good sale.  Joseph said, "I LOVE it when you surprise us like this!"  We are also going to get to go to a Hollywood Bowl concert with John Williams conducting pieces from his famous movie scores.  This is so perfect for my boys right now since they have been pretty obsessed with listening to movie soundtracks on Rhapsody lately-- especially Harry Potter.  We are all very excited.
My mom and dad and sister and brother called us right as we were lighting the candles for their cake!  My mom always calls on our birthdays, along with whoever else is home at the time, to sing Happy Birthday for us.  So I put the phone on speaker phone, and they all got to sing with us!  I made Brigham a lemon blueberry cake and Joseph his favorite white chocolate raspberry cheesecake.
After cake we jumped in the car to take some leftover cake back to Hannah the dog's house (and her master's), and THEN we came back home and I gave Joseph his second present which was to sit with him and play Civilization for a while.  Or really, watch him play and listen to him explain it all to me.  He's pretty good at that game!  I don't think I possess the computer-game gene, but I'm happy to sit with my boy and play with him on his birthday.  :-)
Then, after getting ready for bed, the boys watched half of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets while I packed, then I sent them off to bed.  And now, since the boys still have to pack in the morning before we leave for the airport, and I have to get up early, I'm off to bed, too!
Happy Birthday my sweet boys!
Joseph is ten at 8:23 AM!


Five minutes later, Brigham is ten at 8:28 AM!

Hannah the dog gets very wet.  Joseph tried to get a picture of her in the boat (in the background), but she jumped out before he got it.  She was so cute in there!

Joseph and his white chocolate raspberry cheesecake.  And TEN candles!

Brigham and his blueberry lemon cake.  Blueberries and lemon cake are a great combo.

The two birthday boys.  They keep growing up, no matter how hard I wish they wouldn't.  :-)

1 comment:

inside voice said...

This is Mama -- and that post was almost as good as being there! Those cakes made my stomach growl and my mouth water!! I can hardly wait for you to get here!!