Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Banner Day for Mosey!

Tonight, finally, after 7 years, 6 months and 6 days, Mosey learned to ride a two-wheeler.  Yes, my child who could read at the age of 3, only just now learned to ride his bike.  I guess you can see where the priorities lie in this family.  :-)
I've been telling him for months and months and months (ever since he got his bike at Christmas) that he COULD do it!  I've been out in the backyard with him trying to coach (it's really pretty hard to teach a child to ride a bike when you can't walk).  He's gone to the school parking lot on a couple of occasions with Ben who has tried to teach him.  But he hasn't really wanted to learn until today.
He went up to Ben in the kitchen this evening and said, "Dad, I think I want to learn how to ride my bike, because people will think I look kind of weird riding around the block on my big wheels."  There's nothing like a little self-consciousness for motivation, right?  (By the way, I think he looks perfectly adorable riding around the block on his big wheels, even if he is on the downward slope to 8 years old.)
So Ben pumped up his tires, loaded his bike in the car, and took him to the church parking lot where, at 8:00 PM it was only about 100 degrees.  :-)  But Mosey did it!  He rode his bike!  And it was easy!  Just like I've been telling him and telling him!
I elected to stay home and do nothing of use, and I'm regretting not going and watching him.  He'll never have a picture of himself riding his bike for the first time and I think he's probably going to resent me for that for the rest of his life.  :-)
Congratulations Mosey!

1 comment:

Mama said...

YAY FOR MOSEY!!!! There is nothing quite like that moment when you figure it all out and you experience the amazing freedom of mobility. Give him a BIG high 5 from all of us here.