Sunday, January 10, 2010

My SIX year old!!

Mosey turned six today!
Yesterday Ben took him and the boys to Inner Space Caverns for a tour of the cave. In the gift shop, Mosey fell in love with a cool arrowhead necklace which Ben bought him for a present.
I sent Ben in with my camera (the caves are NOT wheelchair accessible!) and he obliged me by taking some pictures.


My little spelunkers!

On the way back from the caves, I told him the story of his birth, and then we all went to Carinos for dinner.

They put a candle in his dessert which he ended up liking a lot more than the dessert! He smashed it into little waxy bits with his knife.

He woke up this morning and said, "You know what? I actually still feel like I'm five! Maybe tomorrow I will feel more like I am six." I'm not sure what he was expecting, but I hope six will not be a disappointment for him.
He ate Lucky Charms for breakfast-- his birthday cereal of choice, which he generously shared with the rest of us.



Then Mosey's day was marred by a bit of idiocy on the part of his mother...
After church I planned to go wrap his presents which Ben transferred from the back of the van into my closet this morning. But by some sort of six-year-old present-radar, Mosey peeked in there first. He came out to the playroom where I was getting wrapping paper and whispered to Joseph, "I think I might know what my presents are!" I heard him and immediately guessed what he had done. I got mad! He knows not to look for presents! I didn't want to just let it go, I wanted him to really know that it's not ok to do that. So I told him I wasn't going to wrap his presents if he already saw them, and that I would have to talk to Ben when he got back (from after church meetings) to see if we would even give them to him at all. Mosey was not at all repentant, but when I went into the kitchen, I found Joseph sitting at the table in tears. Then it hit me: that was a big mommy FAIL. I asked him if he was upset because I got mad at Mosey. He nodded. I told him I wasn't that mad, but I needed Mosey to know that it wasn't funny for him to sneak around looking for presents. I got Mosey and pulled him on my lap and told him he was a big snickerdoodle, but that we would give him his presents if he promised to forget what they were! He giggled and promised, and I think I was forgiven. Still, I feel a bit rotten about that.
Anyway, after that I got busy cooking-- Mosey requested "some sort of chicken casserole" for dinner and a strawberry cake roll.

Ben took pictures of Mosey and me. I need to get more pictures of the boys with ME, so someday they can look back and remember how much bigger I was than them once upon a time. :-)



I DID wrap his presents, and as it happened, he only saw one of them, so there were still two surprises. He got rollerskates, a digital watch, and the movie Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs.
Mosey was happy about the rollerskates-- I got a pair of adjustable-size rollerblades at Goodwill last week, and Joseph and Brigham are making pretty good progress figuring them out, but they are just too hard for Mosey to balance in. The skates are a lot easier and he took a couple of turns on our tile floor to try them out. He was most excited about the watch. Joseph got a watch for Christmas, and Mosey has been admiring it ever since. I asked him a few days ago what he wanted for his birthday and he said, "All I really want is a watch." He does love it. The boys all watched the movie after dinner tonight and the report I got from Joseph was, "It was awesome! The best Ice Age movie!"

(See all the ashes in our fireplace from our frigid Friday with no furnace? What a mess!)


Mosey wasn't a huge fan of the chicken casserole I made (I thought it was a funny request from him!), but the strawberry cake roll was a big hit.

Click on the picture to see it bigger.

So, that was my boy's big day! He has to use two hands to count his age now.

No comments: