Saturday, January 10, 2009

My baby


Today my baby is five!

Five years ago right this minute, I was asleep, under sedation after an emergency caesarean section. I had an epidural already in place, but when they rushed me in for surgery (Mosey was descending with his head cocked to the side, ear presenting first, which is very unsafe), and made the first incision, I discovered that it hadn't fully numbed my right side. Ouch! So I was given something or other in my IV, and I barely made it conscious through the delivery.
As it was, I got to see him only for a second because he was rushed to the NICU for breathing problems.
As I slowly came out of the anesthesia, I had some sort of panic attack and started hyperventilating. I was terrified, because it really felt like I was not getting enough oxygen. I couldn't catch my breath long enough to call for a nurse. Finally one passed by and I gasped out that I couldn't breathe. She checked my oxygen saturation, and it was fine, and she told me just to slow my breathing. Yeah, right! How do you slow your breathing when you feel like you are smothering?! Finally, they sedated me again and I didn't wake up until the next morning.
Mosey spent the night under an oxygen tent and was doing a lot better by morning.

But he was still breathing really fast and the doctors were not comfortable letting him out of the NICU. I didn't even get to see him until nearly 12 hours after delivery. And I didn't get to hold him until the next night.


But, after a less-than-promising beginning, he improved and was released from the NICU after 5 days and came home with me.

He was an easy, easy baby. (Well, maybe any baby would have seemed easy after twins!)
He didn't cry much, slept very contendedly in the sling or the swing, and seemed to adapt to life this side of the womb very well.


The twins were not happy about him for several weeks, but finally managed to accept his existence, and finally to even love him.

(look at the scratches on his face-- Brigham and Joseph did that to him! So sad... But they were only two and it was a tough adjustment)

Mosey is still my sweetie, maybe because he is the youngest. But he is by far my most cuddly child, and always has been. He will grab my face and kiss my cheek. He still manages to find his way into my bed to snuggle with me more nights than not.

He is a funny kid, too! He has an infectious laugh, and it's not just me that says this. He finds little things uproariously funny, and you can't help but laugh with him.

He loves animals. And he LOVES stuffed animals. Here are the stuffed animals currently on his favorite list:
Little Dog (the first, and best-loved of his Webkinz animals, a chihuahua)
Lumpy (Webkinz elephant)
Good Squirrely (Webkinz squirrel)
Pug (Webkinz pug, oddly enough)
Rudolph (fawn)
Polly (pink and white dog with pink bows on her ears)
Giant Polly (same as above, but bigger! She's little Polly's mom, apparently)
Scooby Doo
Fur-Real dog (no name)
Fur-Real cat (no name)
Golden (dog given to him for Christmas from Brigham)
Attack (cat)
Sunshine Bear (Carebear, actually the "Funshine" bear)
Blue (from Blue's Clues)
White doggy (no name, he actually gave it to Ben for his birthday, but has since sort of adopted it as his own, to no one's surprise)


Mosey also loves to read. He's a really good reader! He's reading the Charlie Bones books along with Joseph. He reads out loud sometimes and it's the most adorable thing to hear. He has great inflection for dialogue, and reads with spirit. He was reading this afternoon and only got caught up on the word "indignantly." That is a hard word! He's a great speller, too, and frequently corrects Brigham on his spelling (admittedly, spelling isn't Brigham's greatest talent).


He's still afraid of the dark, and won't go into the garage by himself, or even into the bathroom if the light is off. He'll ask one of his brothers to turn the light on for him first.

He is TERRIFIED of the automatic flushing toilets at Walmart. Absolutely terrified.
Along those lines, he sometimes prefers the backyard to the toilet, much to my chagrin. But sometimes his brothers don't want to stop what they're doing to turn the bathroom light on for him, and what's a boy to do? :-)

His favorite food is fruit, smarties, and any kind of soda. He tells me all the time, "Mom, I'm hungry for a smartie!"


He loves to play on Webkinz World and Starfall.com, and he is scarily adept at anything to do with the computer. Like, he can open up Blogger, create a new post, and publish it completely on his own. He can find the Republican National Trust and fill out the contribution form to donate 79 trillion dollars. Go to the Starfall.com store and try to buy $220,000+ worth of stuff. And he can dance like nobody's business.

He loves to sit on my lap when shopping at Target or Walmart or HEB (the only places I can shop, as they have the ride-on carts). I love to kiss the top of his head while he's riding on my lap.

He says to me, "I'll hold your hand, Mom, so you don't fall." Sometimes he wants me to go upstairs and I tell him it's too hard for me, and he will say, "Don't worry, mom, I'll hold your hand so you can get up the stairs."

He always prefaces a statement to Ben or me, "Mom (or Dad), I hafta tell you something." And then we have to respond before he will actually say what he has to say. At night as I'm trying to settle him down, he'll say, "Ok, mom, this is the LAST thing I'm going to say." Until the next thing, and then *that* is the last thing.

He adores his big brothers and does everything with them. First thing in the morning, he asks me if Brigham and Joseph are up yet.

I love him so much, my heart just bursts with love for him.

Happy Birthday punkin' pie!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Gabrielle, this post made me cry. Mosey really is a special kid, your little miracle baby (well, the twins are your miracle babies too, for that matter, but Mosey's birth was a miracle of a different sort). Here are some of my favorite Mosey stories:

(1) When Dave came to visit for Christmas after we started dating, you and Ben gave Mosey an inflatable Blues Clues chair that Mosey LOVED. He carried it around with him wherever he went and would just set it down, make himself comfortable, and observe. I remember him carrying his Blues Clues chair over to watch Abraham or Benjamin practice the piano. He would have been tiny then--just 2 or 3, right? And yet he had such a sense of self, such a sense of just doing what he wanted to do. Dave promptly declared that Mosey was the essence of cool (and he continues in that opinion).

(2) When Mosey was very little--probably just 2 or 3 months old--you and Ben brought him out to Philadelphia for a conference that Ben was attending. I rented a car and drove up from DC and spent the weekend with you. During that weekend, I got to take Mosey for a walk through Philadelphia while you attended the session where Ben was presenting. Mosey was the perfect sight-seeing companion--happy, quiet, and apparently extremely interested in the Philadelphia Museum of Art :).

(3) When I flew with the boys from Florida to California and we had all of the drama about missing the flights and navigating the Miami International Airport on the busiest travel day of the year, Mosey and the twins were PERFECT. They could not have been better. They were cooperative, they didn't cry, they dealt with the stress perfectly, they carried their own stuff, they didn't even really ask questions. They must have known that something was wrong, but they couldn't have been better about not making the situation worse. When we finally made it on the plane (all 4 of us on standby!!! And about 8th on the standby list!!! For an entirely sold-out flight!!!!) and the flight attendant put us in one of the fancy business-class private cabins (did I tell you that? It was the perfect place for us to be--all of the boys were able to be together for most of the flight), Mosey just cuddled into my arms and fell asleep for the entire flight. He was so sweet, wrapped in about 3 blankets and finally (when my arms got tired) curled up in a little nest of blankets and pillows. Such a good kid.

I love him too, Gabrielle.

raegan said...

That is beautifully written Gabby! I could tell the tremendous love you have for this little guy by the sweet things you said. What a treasured entry!

Rena said...

cute post!
Happy Birthday Moses!

Caroline said...

I love the pic of you and Mosey. Its just a really happy pic :)

Happy Birthday Mosey!

Lonna said...

I can hardly believe that he is five, I swear that he just left the nursery. I guess that was a few years ago then. What a sweet boy. I think that is so cute that he loves all the little animals, and has so many to care for too.

Well Happy Birthday Mosey!

Gabrielle said...

Naomi, thanks for those memories. I remember that Philadelphia trip fondly. And you racked up a whole heck of a lot of brownie points for all you did in getting my boys from FL to CA two years ago. I'm so excited for you to have your own baby girl to love as much as I love Mosey.
Thanks Raegan, yup, I do love him. Just you wait, Ryan will be 5 before you know it!
Rena, remember when I first met you? Mosey was less than 6 months old. How time flies! He still remembers "cleaning club" back in the good ol' days.
Caroline, that's one of my favorite pictures, too. He was being such a pill about taking pictures that day, we had to take about 100. But it was all worth it to get that one.
Lonna, since his birthday is at the beginning of Jan., he stayed in January the whole year he was 3. He just finished his first year in primary, so it really wasn't long ago that he was in nursery! Those poor January babies...

Gabrielle said...

Uh, he stayed in *nursery* the whole year he was 3. I must be tired tonight!

Kelly said...

Happy birthday, Mosey!

Gabby, great minds think alike. I hadn't read or seen your post about your birthday boy, titled, "my baby," and I had just finished a post called, "my babies" with lovely pics that you took of Lindsey and Christopher, with not quite as much gushiness and details as yours, but it was the same general sentiment. It's such a joy to have these children to brighten our lives and days, isn't it?

Dan and Merideth said...

I had so many tears in my eyes while reading this! I love reading your blog, its always so real, special, and down to earth!