Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oh, the frail male ego

Predictably, one of the most frustrating aspects of my MS has been the necessary increasing dependence on other people for things I used to do happily, and with ease, myself. Particularly hard is having to turn various household tasks over to Ben.
I like to think that we work well together, but the truth of it is that both of us are slightly controlling, and we really *don't* work that well together. I think we do a great job, mostly, of dividing and conquering the things that need to get done. But when our realms of control begin to overlap, frustration ensues.
Take this weekend, for example. I designated Saturday as a "fix-it day" around the house. There have been a few things breaking recently that needed to get fixed. These kinds of things are easy to put off, and before you know it, the house is falling apart. Anyway, we needed to fix the upstairs bathroom cabinet door which had fallen off, replace a door knob, replace the wall shelf that Mosey pulled out of the wall when he tried to climb the shelves to get at a stuffed animal, fix the kitchen cabinet door that Brigham broke, replace a piece of floor trim in the master bedroom, and fix the rope swing in the backyard. I think that was all that was on our list.
I like to think I am meticulous when doing home fix-it stuff. Attention to detail and taking the time to do it right are really important, I think. Ben, on the other hand, is *not* a detail person. Just fix it fast and move on to more enjoyable things is typically his approach. Of course, he does not enjoy home-improvement stuff at all, and I do, which might account for our different approaches.
Well, he very adeptly replaced the upstairs bathroom cabinet door, and then moved on to the shelf in the upstairs TV room. These were shelves that I had installed by placing dry-wall anchors in the wall, and then mounting the shelves on brackets. Pretty sturdy, but not sturdy enough to withstand the weight of a set of encyclopedias *and* a 5 year old boy. Anyway, I've installed several shelves like this, and know exactly how to do the drywall anchors and feel pretty confident that I can do it right. Ben took a look and decided that he could just put "a bunch of superglue" (his words) on the outside of the anchor and then stick it back in the hole in the wall, and then just put the shelf back on.
I try to be very respectful of Ben's ideas, I truly, truly do. Really! But the male ego is exceedingly fragile. I told him I thought that might work, but I'd really like to go upstairs and take a look just so I could be confident in that plan. I was working on some Relief Society stuff at the moment and needed only 5 more minutes to finish up before I could go upstairs and look at it. "Well, if it's going to be five minutes, just forget it!" Ben was obviously extremely offended that I would express even the hint of doubt about his plan. He's usually happy to help me get up the stairs if ever I need to, but in this case it "wasn't worth his time" to help me get up the stairs. He was obviously mad.
Ugh.
I really don't know what to do in these situations. I did manage to drag myself up the stairs and saw immediately that the superglue plan would not work. There were big holes where the drywall anchors had been ripped out. Superglue, which can admittedly solve a variety of problems, was not going to cut it. We either needed to drill new holes and put in new anchors, or go to Lowes and get some toggle bolts.
Ben was just plain offended! I don't understand it! I have LOTS of experience in all sorts of home-repair stuff. He has almost none. It's no shame for him to not know that supergluing drywall anchors back into ripped out holes wasn't going to work. Why is it so embarrassing to concede that someone else might actually know better? If I was trying to do something on the computer and he told me that it probably wasn't the best way, that he knew a better and faster way, I would *not* be offended. I would be grateful for the expertise. It's just got to be a male ego sort of thing.
Well, he pouted the rest of the day. Seriously, the rest of the day.
Today, after church, he asked if I wanted him to make lunch. I told him I was happy to make it, if he could help me. He wanted to "make some ramen noodles and throw in a bunch of stuff." I asked him what kind of stuff he wanted to throw in? This question was very offensive and he got all huffy and said, ok, fine, just make whatever you want. Argh! I don't *need* to have my way in this, I just wanted to know what stuff he wanted to "throw in!" I had the ingredients to make tuna pasta, which the boys like, so I suggested that. "I don't like tuna pasta, just do you know." Ok, fine. He was still willing to help me make it. Or so he said. I asked him to put some water on to boil. He got out our HUGEST pot. This is like a canning pot, it is huge. I said, "We have a smaller pot, the water will take forever to boil in that." So he puts it back and gets out our SMALLEST sauce pan. Ugh. Is he doing this on purpose? So I said, "Why don't you use the medium green pot?" He shoves the small sauce pan back in the cupboard and says, "See, whenever I try to help you, I can never do anything right!" And he was done. So I made it myself. Which is ok, but it is really hard for me to stand for that long, and it would have been so much easier and faster and smoother if he would have just helped me.
I just needed a helper. Sometimes two in the kitchen *is* too many. All I wanted was for him to help me. I wasn't trying to be controlling. Is it controlling of me to tell him the kind of pot he should use? Maybe it is. I thought I was being very nice and calm, but maybe I wasn't. Maybe he's as frustrated as I am about my situation, and it comes out as very low tolerance for anything resembling "bossing."
But seriously, this is why Eve was the "help meet" for Adam, and not the other way round. Men just can't do it.

5 comments:

Dan and Merideth said...

I thought this was so true! I sounds like there at the end he was just frustrated at the world! Im sure he has 'things' building up in his mind that on "fix-it day" there ugly head came rearing up.

I can relate to the pot thing. When things like that happen, im like "seriously Dan, what is wrong with you!" What i wan to say is... cant that brain of yours determine what is a adequate pot for the job? dont you know im going to wash that hugeass pan!??! Gahl! - but that would be rude so i dont say that.

In these situations the Men have attitude and after 2 days of it they get over themselves and can cope in the real world again; Only problem is they have now passed the baton of attitude and problems over to there wives and then wonder why we are annoyed with attitude for the next 2 days. So frustrating!

Kelly said...

Such a tough situation. I can also relate to it in some ways.

Abbie Nelson said...

Matt and I are the same...but switched around. His forte is home improvement...and he loves it. And I'm the control freak. :) Which is great because I just choose the project, budget, and decide the color, and he just does it. :) Well, he also will put his two cents in, but as long as I'm not suggesting painting the house hot pink...he's pretty amiable.

This has been a wonderful partnership. :) If I suggest something crazy like superglue...he would very "patiently" explain why that would not work, and I generally give him a good natured smack on the tush for being obnoxious and condescending. :)

I throw the kind of fits your husband did...especially when pregnant. Matt's just patient and sweet enough to put up with me.

It's especially hard now, when I also can't do a lot around the house...and I've learned to graciously accept Matt's help. It's really hard when he does things differently than I want.
(especially the laundry, and the toilet is NEVER clean enough)

But, I can't complain and I just have to learn to let go. It can get a little depressing seeing things I would like to do, or do differently, and not having the energy to change them.

The key to happiness is lowering your expectations for being happy. :)

Debbie said...

Oh, I can SO relate to this! There are some things that I have more experience with (like issues with the kids since I'm home dealing with them all day), but my husband often gets offended if I try to suggest something even when I do it in the nicest way possible. I really am just trying to be helpful, but it's not taken that way usually.

I have realized that I DO sometimes like things done a certain way and I just have to let go of that. We definitely cannot cook together. I learned the first year we were married that I just had to walk out of the kitchen when he was cooking because I couldn't stop myself from questioning everything he was doing. It was better for me not to watch, and honestly, most of the time whatever he made turned out great.

The problems you're having with this issue are just compounded by the fact that you have to rely on him more now which is probably hard for both of you.

Gabrielle said...

Meredith,
You are RIGHT ON with the "passing the baton" thing. Ben got over it by that night, but I'm still annoyed 2 days later. Something to think about...
Abbie, yep, lowering expectations is key. In fact, not really having any expectations is even better. But it's sure hard to do!
Debbie, I could do the "just leave the kitchen" thing if only I wasn't the one left washing all the dishes! LOL!