Sunday, January 04, 2009

The boys' first car wreck

Well, it wasn't much of a car wreck, really, thank goodness.
We were on our way home from church, stopped at a stop light and got rear ended. It was quite a forceful jolt, actually. It shocked all of us, and then Mosey started crying and told me it hurt. I think he was more scared than hurt, because he hasn't complained for the rest of the afternoon.
It was a 17 year old kid, and he was very polite and obviously scared. I felt really bad for him. That first fender-bender is pretty awful.
Luckily the height of his fender and ours was such that very little damage was done to his car, and the bottom part of our bumper only was dented in. He was very lucky, because, honestly, after the jolt we felt, I fully expected to see his hood buckled at least somewhat. I hope our bumper isn't too expensive; it always annoys me when bumpers are expensive to repair. Isn't the POINT of bumpers to protect the body of the car?
It was good, in a way, to drive home the importance of seatbelts.
Mosey said, after we were back on the road, "I'm never going to drive when I am a teenager. I'm only going to practice and practice." And that is just fine with me.

6 comments:

Dan and Merideth said...

Thats cute what mosey said! Good luck getting it fixed! hope yall all stay pain free and safe!

Lonna said...

I am glad that you are all okay, and I am sorry that you were in a wreck. I will tell you that is one of my biggest fears is to have the kids in the car with me in an accident. I love that you were able to make a great point of seat belt use though. How do you always see the positive so clearly?

I hope that it wasn't too traumatic of an incident for the kids, I know that Gwen is still talking about a hurt arm and going to see the doctor and that was almost a week ago, Oh well at least we know that nobody was hurt. Good luck with the bumper.

Kelly said...

I'm glad it wasn't worse. I often freak out when I'm on an airplane and we start to have turbulence. I know that the odds are slim, but some wrecks do and will occur, so the fear kicks in. Glad that Mosey will be a good seatbelt wearer and practice, practice before he drives. Luckily, you've got some time. I hope your car gets repaired and that the insurance covers it all.

Abbie Nelson said...

Our first accident was also a fender bender with a 17 yr old. :) I was pregnant with Adam at the time. 2 weeks from delivery. I felt worse for him...our neighbor across the street.
Even funnier, I fell the other day (pregnant with the new kid) and they came running out of their house. They must think this poor woman can't stay out of trouble while pregnant! :)

Mama said...

I'm so glad it wasn't any worse that it was -- this is one of my BIGGEST fears. And with all the children we have, living in high population areas and having to drive so much, I just worry that the odds will someday stack up against us... But if we can get our accident "quota" taken care of with minor fenderbenders, I'll be OK. I have a 17-year-old who is desperate to finally get his license and be able to drive on his own -- I wish he felt more like Mosey! I love you all and am so grateful you are safe. -- Love, Mama

sarah said...

Hey Gabrielle -
I loved your Christmas card and had to check out your blog. I've spent the past few days catching up with you and your family and have to say how inspired and impressed I am with you all. I can't believe all you've had to deal with with your MS, and how many amazing things you do with your boys. Seriously impressive science experiments and field trips and one-on-one time. And I think we need to get some of those blocks. My boys would love those too. It's been fun to get to know you all over again.

Sarah (Z)