Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hangin' in there


Here is my pharmacy of medication I have to take. Several of these are twice a day or three times a day medications. Fun stuff.




A typical dose of pills. I take them morning, noon, and night. My main problem with being sick is not being able to keep the medications down. I always have this debate in my head-- "Has it been long enough for the pills to have absorbed? Do I take them again? Wait until the next dose?"




Well, the sickness doesn't seem to have left completely, despite stopping some of my pills, so I think I just have to accept that this might be a continuing problem for a little longer as I recover. Honestly, I'm getting a little used to it. I haven't thrown up since yesterday morning, though, so maybe I'm out of it now. Of course every time I think that, I end up getting sick again, so we'll see.

Friday we had a nice day. We went to see the only intact Byzantine frescoes in the Western hemisphere. We thought they were in this one building, which ended up being a gallery for some artist, Cy something or other. It was interesting, but he's definitely one of those artists that make me go, "Huh?" Giant chalkboards with chalk scribbles, flowers dipped in plaster, giant wall-sized murals with color splotches. I don't get it. I wish there would have been some explanatory notes or something to go along with each piece so I could at least try to "get it."

Anyway, we finally did find the frescoes and they were beautiful and interesting. After we stopped at a toy store so I could get some presents for my boys.

I wasn't feeling too good when we got back, maybe too much activity, and that triggered more throwing up. Grrr.

So Saturday, after throwing up again in the morning, I did absolutely nothing. I seriously lay on the hotel bed ALL. DAY. LONG. Watched the Olympics, watched a movie with my mom on the laptop, read, and basically vegged out all day long. It did the trick, though, and I didn't throw up again.

Today was kind of more of the same. We did go downstairs to use our breakfast coupons, but then I've sat on the couch the rest of the day watching the Olympics and CNN (the only news program here at the hotel). Learned that the big famous arch at Arches National Park collapsed! Can you believe that? How weird. I read about 1/4 of the Houston Chronicle Sunday paper (can anyone actually read the whole thing in a day?).

So my news is very boring. Tomorrow I'm going back to see the doctor and I'm telling him I have to go home! I think he'll tell me I'm good to go, but even if he doesn't, I am just going home. I can't stand to be away any longer! I have an appointment with a hematologist/oncologist in Austin on Wednesday, so don't worry, I'm still going to be followed closely. I just need to get out of this place!

6 comments:

StrykerLOVE said...

Gabbi, I am sorry that you didn't get to go home this weekend. I am glad you get to hang out with your mom though. You have such an attitude of cheerfulness - I am amazed by you. You are continually thought and prayed about - Good luck with all that waiting!!!!

Kelly said...

Who can make a massive stash of pills look as attractive in a photo as you, Gabby?

I'm reading through all the updates about you as I've been out of the loop.

Wow...I hadn't heard about the big arch at Arches collapsing! That's awful!

Kelly said...

After reading your post, I looked up the story and I am relieved it wasn't Delicate Arch. I don't know if I have been to Wall Arch, the one that collapsed. It's still really unfortunate.

Jill T said...

I'm glad there is plenty of olympic coverage to keep you somewhat entertained!

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle,

I have been reading your blog with interest and prayer. I am a long-ago friend of your mother's from Globe High School. I believe we last met in Durham when your dad was in law school and your mother was breastfeeding Rosalynde. Please give her my regardsand wish her a happy birthday for me.

God's peace,
Vicki

Christine said...

Hey! So you should have been home a few days now, I hope its given you a big boost to be with your boys and I hope it wasn't too hard with no one there for a couple days. I know Rosalynde is looking forward to being there today. So are the boys excited for their birthday? What are they into these days now that they are big boys? I guess super heroes might be kind of out. I'm still trying to think of what to do for Brigham, any ideas?