Monday, October 15, 2007

hot, hot, hot!!!

Ok. So my dad sent all his kids an article regarding Al Gore's recent Nobel Prize and a prominent climatologist who refutes most of his claims. My family has a range of political views, and this email sparked several different responses. Being the sucker I am for getting involved in family "discussions" of politics, I can't help but put in my two cents. My kids are in bed (not asleep, but at least in bed), and I now have time to respond to some of these replies and elaborate on my own particular views. I'm mostly responding to an email from my older sister where she states she is desperately concerned about global warming, because she must rely on the expertise of others and the general scientific consensus (which she implies supports the theory of human-caused global climate change). She also expresses desperate concern about sleep deprivation in children, although that was something of an unrelated aside at the end of her short note. So with that in way of explanation, here's what I have to say about the matter.

See, I, too am pretty convinced by scientific consensus in pretty much all scientific issues. But there *isn't* any scientific consensus when it comes to Global Climate Change. There is data all over the place. There is no way to determine whether the slight increase in global temperatures over the last decades is due in any degree (no pun intended) to human activity, particularly when one looks at global temperature variations during periods when there was no carbon-emitting human industry at all (unless you count breathing).

There are many, many scientists who do not attribute climate change to human activity. Some who do, yes, but many who do not. Unfortunately the whole issue has become incredibly politicized, which in my opinion completely corrupts the scientific process. Grant money is often determined by political persuasions. Scientists have come straight out and said they are afraid to contradict scientific "evidence" that they know to be false, or even questionable, because it is politically incorrect and would negatively impact future grants.

Call me a skeptic (and no, I don't call you weakminded Rosalynde), but I can't help but have serious doubts about a phenomenon (human-caused global climate change) that is most notably endorsed by Al Gore's "documentary." This film has so many falsifications, is deliberately misleading in too many ways for me to take it seriously in the slightest. This film is so obviously leftist propaganda, that for me it casts doubt on all proponents of human-caused climate change. Maybe he's just the bad apple that gives a whole group a bad name, but if so, then why hasn't there been an outcry by scientists who do have legitimate evidence for climate change, protesting Al Gore's film for precisely the reason that it's huge flaws cast doubt on their legitimate work? Unfortunately, not only has there not been any outcry of this sort, but he has now been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize!!!!!!! To me that indicates that proponents of global climate change *do* buy into his views, that his film really *is* the best they have to offer in the way of evidence for climate change. And that is precisely why I am so very skeptical of the whole thing.

NOW. This is not to say that I think we as human beings have no responsibility for this earth. This is something that makes me SO MAD. Conservatives who do not buy into the leftist hysteria about global climate change are therefore painted as these mindless oafs who hate the environment and care nothing about conserving resources or living responsibly. And that is a lie. As a *conservative* I believe we should *conserve!* I think it is totally absurd, our dependence on oil for all our energy needs. I also think it is totally absurd that we should therefore stop using oil and rely totally on solar and wind power. There are many other options, nuclear power being one of the best I think. And yet it is the same leftists who are wildly hysterical about global warming, that also get wildly hysterical about building new nuclear power plants (or even using existing ones at capacity). It is infuriating, and makes me think they are not truly worried about reducing our dependence on foreign oil, but are more concerned about political power plays. There are many ways to reduce our dependence on foreign oil (and oil in general), and it is beyond frustrating to see leftist politics thwarting any move towards solving this problem.

Another thing. I think we should all be concerned with being responsible. With conserving energy where we can, with teaching our children to live responsibly and conservatively, to respect the environment and the magnificence of God's creation. However, when it comes to things we should be "desperately concerned about" (sorry, but I have to use your words here, Rosalynde, since it illustrates my point so well), I worry a lot about the priorities of average Americans, especially those with left-of-center political beliefs. I am far more concerned about the imminent issues of radical Islam, for example, than I am about "Global Climate Change." I am far more concerned about the direction public education is going. I am much more concerned about how we are going to resolve the coming Social Security crisis and the sinkhole that is Medicare. I am desperately, desperately concerned about how honesty, hard work, self-sufficiency and personal responsibility seem to have melted away from America's consciousness. Which is ironic because if we could just bring these values back as distinctly *American,* as they used to be, I think America, with the ingenuity and creativity that has in the past been part of our greatest strength as a nation, could probably figure out how to be self-sufficient in terms of energy requirements! And if we could get individuals to prioritize and value personal responsibility, I think the social-security and medicare crises would also be quickly solved. I am afraid for America, but not because Florida might be under water in 3 years. I am afraid for America because the values that made our country great, that made our country God's chosen land where he chose to restore the gospel, are disappearing.

One final point about Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize. I found it rather amusing that just days before he was awarded this "prize," a court in Great Britain found the film to be misleading or false in 11 different areas, and therefore decided that if the film is to be shown in state-run schools, the "Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that 1.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument. 2.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination. 3.) Eleven inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children."
(http://newparty.co.uk/articles/inaccuracies- gore.html)
Interesting, eh?
Oh yeah, I'm also desperately concerend about sleep deprivation in children, especially because it is 9:47 PM and one, maybe two of my children are still messing around upstairs refusing to sleep. :-)

Ok, now that I've offended and alienated everyone in at least one way or another, I believe I will close. I promise not to pontificate on Global Climate Change for at least one week.

Smiles and hugs from the most liberal city in Texas,
Gabrielle
P.S. I still do highly recommend Michael Crichton's "State of Fear." It is one of the few novels I have read that is extensively footnoted with scientific articles and other primary sources.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Gabby, you have a beautiful mind and I really like the way you think and get passionate over hot topics, pun intended. I agree with your point of view, as well. I applaud your expression of your thoughts.