Thursday, October 18, 2007

Addendum to my global warming rant

It is my opinion that the human spirit has an innate need for religious expression. Every culture in the history of earth has had some form of religion or another. We live in an age where many secularists now perceive traditional religion as foolish and unscientific. Many have rejected religion as a consequence of this perception. And yet, the human spirit still craves religious expression.
In my observation, it appears that some people shift their religious devotion from God, to various secular causes, particularly physical health and the environment, although there are numerous other examples.
What strikes me is that both of these causes (and the other examples I can think of) *are* very important. We actually have religious responsibility to care for our physical bodies and our environment. However, when these causes become more important than service to God, or when they become substitutions for devotion to God, when they become ends in themselves rather than vehicles of coming to know God, the religious devotion to these causes becomes dangerous.
Not to be melodramatic, but I do believe that Satan is quite pleased when we begin worshipping good health and clean environment over God.
So, while I absolutely support any individual in their efforts to keep themselves and their families healthy, and our environment clean and beautiful, I get worried and scared when these individuals begin allying themselves, philosophically or actually, with groups and causes that have adopted health and/or environmentalism as their religion. I think this is the wrong path and will not lead to anything good in our society or world.
Does this make sense to anyone?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Yes it does make sense. (As much as anything does this early in the morning for me. I just took Lindsey to seminary and am going back to bed.)

I just think that individuals feel the need to do something good, and because they aren't expressing themselves religiously as you put it, this going overboard on global warming or the environment is an easy substitution for their energies, and gives them the fuzzy warm feeling.