Thursday, May 17, 2007

May 17, 2007

Hey Everyone,
My boys have been counting down the days till the end of school. I'm not really sure why because I'm pretty sure after 2 or 3 days of no school they will be bored and want to go back! Actually I think they are mostly excited about being able to say they are 1st graders. :-)
I don't have too much to say today. I've been feeling a bit down about things lately. Just seems like I don't have time to do anything except chores and drive the kids to and from places (Yeah, I know, welcome to motherhood). I just see other moms that seem to be able to do so many things, and keep up with their houses, etc., and I wonder what is wrong with me. But I decided that probably the problem isn't that I have abnormally messy kids, or anything like that, but that I'm just not in a very good place personally right now and that is why things seem overwhelming. So I have recommitted myself to getting to bed earlier, reading my scriptures more diligently (I've been guilty of counting our family scripture reading time as my own personal scripture reading time, and it *doesn't* count!), and I re-joined Weight Watchers to get off these 12.4 lbs that have creeped on over the past year. I will be back to my goal weight by Naomi's wedding! It feels good to get back on the program, I already feel more in control of myself. I'm also going to concentrate more on things I am grateful for, instead of complaining about annoying things.
So, here are some things I am grateful for. My kids, while they have their moments, are also very sweet to me. Last Saturday I took the boys to HEB, and we had the usual "discussion" about who gets to sit in which seat in the children's car-carts they have there. There are only 2 seats, and I have 3 boys, so there is always a "discussion." Anyway, it was Brigham's turn to sit up on the handle-area of the cart (not supposed to be a seat, but oh well). I noticed that whenever I went over to get something off a shelf, Brigham would turn himself comletely around to be facing me. Then he said to me, "Mom, I have to turn to see you whereever you go because I like to look at you because you are beautiful." Awwwww. And the next day at Church he was sitting next to me in Sacrament meeting and he kept turning his head and sniffing my arm. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I like to smell you because you smell so good!" He must be buttering me up for something, huh?! Mosey has also been doing something really sweet. He will come over to me and hold my cheeks in his hands and then give me the sweetest little kiss right on the mouth. He is an exceptionally sweet 3 year old, and I am very blessed! Last night after I read him stories, I was so tired I decided just to go to sleep right then, too (8:00 PM). So I had the pleasure of listening to him tell stories to himself. I know he always does this, because I can hear his little voice in there for quite a while before he is quiet, but I usually can't hear well enough to know what he is saying. It was so cute to hear him telling this elaborate story about ants and an anteater which runned out to a field and shaked and shaked and shaked (??) and then falled asleep and sleeped and sleeped and sleeped and then waked up... Anyway, it was very funny to listen to him talking to himself. And Joseph has been so helpful recently! He's been my most willing boy when it comes to cleaning up. He's also been my least fighting boy! (Brigham and Mosey have been having some tiffs recently). He's been waking up happy and cooperative in the morning and generally just being a joy to be around. We got a nice surprise when his teacher sent a notice home over the weekend that HE also we selected for Principal's Pride for the month of May. So Brigham and Joseph both got Principal's Pride for their class, and both for creativity. I was very proud of them, and it was good for both of them to get that recognition. I am so proud of how well Joseph has been doing at school. He had such a rough start at this new school, but he has been SO good the last few months. No arguing at all about going to school, no conflicts with teachers or other students, he's just been a really good boy.
Ben has also been great helping me when he gets home from work. I guess he can sense that I've been stressed out. He's been doing dishes, running the Scooba (love that thing), and took the boys to a cub-scouts information meeting Wednesday night while I relaxed at home for an hour.
So overall I am very blessed, and I feel better focusing on those things than on the petty annoyances of life.
I'm reading this book called "Stumbling on Happiness," which is VERY interesting, I recommend it. Anyway, the author is a professor of psychology at some school or another and one part of the book talks about how our mind will put up a strong psychological defense when presented with really devastating things. Humans are able to be amazingly resilient in the face of tragedy or betrayal or other really bad things. But our defenses are not aroused by the little annoying things of life, so it is the little things that really affect our happiness, and NOT the big things you might expect. This explains why proportionally more marriages fail over little things that partners do to annoy each other than for big things like infidelity or abuse. Weird, huh? So anyway, I guess that explains why I can feel supposedly unaccountably down about relatively minor things. Interesting concept anyway.
Hopefully tomorrow we are closing on our new house! Our lenders are being very slow and leaving things to the last minute, so we are crossing our fingers. Ouor house in Florida still hasn't sold, and apparently the market is sort of collapsing. Sigh... Apparently the area has 24 months of inventory on the market right now and only half of those homes will sell in the next 12 months. Frustrating. I think we're just going to have to bite the bullet and drastically lower our asking price and just get this thing sold. Our variable rate mortgage is going UP very soon, and we just need to sell it. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes. We'll be fine financially even if we don't make much money on the house, so really that is one of the "little things" I need to just make roll off my back.
I hope you all have a great Thursday and a great weekend!



Brigham up for Principal's Pride.



Joseph up for Principal's Pride.



All the Principal's Pride kids (K-3rd grades) for May.



Mourning dove we found on our deck the other morning.


No comments: