Tuesday, September 06, 2011

First day of school

Well, I finally got my act together and started school with the boys.  Actually, I like the day-after-Labor-Day school start day.  That's when I always started school growing up.  Any time before September is too early in my book.  :-)
I think it went well!  We're using Sonlight this year, and, at least from today, I think it's going to be great.  We only had tears a few different times, anyway.  :-)  (I like to think I'm raising boys who are in touch with their sensitive side, who aren't afraid to cry and show emotion.  This is a good thing, right?  And someday, somehow, they will stop crying over fractions?)
My strategy is to let them do as much as they possibly can independently.  We have "morning conference" where I go over what their work is for the day, and then they get to it.  The boys take turns practicing while the others are working.  If they need help, they ask me.  There are a couple of things every day that we do together, but most of it they're doing on their own.  And then we have "afternoon conference," where they bring me their completed work and I check it.  They can take their own time, but they do have to have all of their assignments completed before they get free time.
My strategy with Joseph and math is to let him be in charge.  He has to spend 45 minutes doing math every day.  If he wants to spend 45 minutes staring into space, he can, and if he wants to spend 45 minutes learning math, he can do that, too.  I'm not going to fight him on it.  And the reality is that he is so far ahead in math, that he could skip math for the entire year and still probably be ahead.  But Joseph has got a pretty wide competitive streak in him, and I'm betting it won't be long before he decides he wants to learn math.  I'm hoping anyway, and I have a pretty good feeling about it.  In any case, we can see how it goes for the first several weeks, and make adjustments as necessary.
The boys were all done by 3:30 PM, and we spent the afternoon at the library.  That was nice!  Of course, it "helped" that Joseph and Brigham were up at about 5:00 AM.  I had the same first-day-of-school nervous energy and probably didn't sleep more than 4-5 hours last night, despite my very reasonable bedtime hour.  I woke up at 3:30, and didn't fall asleep again, really, until about 5:00 AM (at least, that was when I last looked at the clock), and then woke up again at 5:45 hearing noises.  I thought the cat was running around knocking things over.  And then I saw lights in the backyard and got nervous about a prowler, so I went out to look out the back doors, but didn't see anything.  I decided to get ready for the day anyway, and by the time I was dressed, I discovered the source of the noise and lights-- Joseph and Brigham in the backyard cuddled under blankets on the back porch.  They woke up early, too, and couldn't go back to sleep, so they went outside.  I don't mind the early start, but I do hope they get a few more hours of sleep tonight.  That will probably help with the tears situation.  :-)
When we went outside to leave for the library, I realized with shock that it WASN'T blisteringly hot outside!  On the bank's electronic marquis across the street from the library, I noted that it was only 95 degrees!  That tells you how hot it's been around here, when 95 degrees feels like a cool, refreshing change.  Unfortunately, it's supposed to be back up in the hundreds in a few days, but hey, a few days of 90's is OK!
Sadly, I don't think it's making a difference in the fire situation.  In fact, the cooler temperatures I believe are a result of the cooler winds blowing in from Tropical storm Lee.  And those same winds are what are fanning the flames of all the wildfires around here.  Steiner Ranch is back open (I think), but apparently all of Bastrop State Park has been burned.  :-(  Oh, it's so sad.  This was a beautiful 6,000 acre state park filled with gorgeous, tall southern pines.  A little jewel down here in central Texas, and now it's gone.  Along with almost 600 homes in the area.  So sad.

We were all feeling very grateful for our intact neighborhood and our safe home today.

No comments: