Tuesday, September 13, 2011

09/13/11

As part of the boys' school schedule, I'm having them write in a journal for 10 minutes a day.  While I was at home going through my old stuff, I came upon a journal I kept for about a year and a half when I was the twins' age.  It was really fun reading through it.  I was amazed at how much I remembered.  I often think I have a poor memory, but I remembered a great many of the things I wrote about.  Maybe it's that my memory is fine, but my power of recall is poor.  I remember all of those things, but I would not be able to draw them up in my memory except by being reminded by my writing.

Anyway, I loved it, and so I'm going to give my boys' future selves the pleasure of someday being able to read the journals they kept way back in 2011.

One funny thing that I actually do not remember, is how much I hated spelling.  There were quite a few entries that went something like this: "Today was a pretty good day at school.  Except, we had spelling, and I HATE spelling," or "School was fine.  We played prisoner ball in P.E.  But we had spelling today.  UGH, DON'T REMIND ME!"  So funny.  I pride myself at being a very good speller, but boy, did I hate it growing up.  It gives me hope for another child of mine who does not love spelling.  :-)

So, here's today's journal entry, in the style of 10-year-old Gabrielle, complete with prolific exclamation points and capital letters:

Today was a pretty good day!!!  We woke up and ate breakfast.  The boys had sausage muffins and orange juice.  It was GOOD.  Then we did chores.  YUCK.  Brigham got mad because his brothers slept in his room, but didn't help him clean it up.  School lessons were fine, except we couldn't find our science book.  All of us looked EVERYWHERE, including Ben!  But it was NOWHERE to be found!!!  So I got pretty mad, but I ordered another one on Amazon.com anyway.  But the rest of the day was good.  Brigham did REALLY good on his violin practicing.  He practiced in the master bathroom to help him play loud.  He had to play loud enough to hear the echo, and it worked!!!  The violin sounds SO NEAT in the bathroom with all the echoing!  He is getting really good.  Mosey also practiced cello.  He's been practicing hard.  He even got a blister on his finger that popped!!  The band-aid wouldn't stay on, but he was brave and finished his practicing anyway.  We went to the library after lessons were done.  I LIKE the library!!!! All the boys found some books to check out.  Joseph asked the librarian to help him find some new books to read.  All of the suggestions she gave him were books he had already read!  That was funny.  It's because Joseph is a REALLY good reader.  But he found some new books, anyway.  Dinner was REALLY yummy.  Sister Davis brought over food from Rudy's.  She's going out of town, so she brought us her leftovers from the weekend because they were going to go bad.  I'm so glad she did, because that meant I didn't have to make dinner!!!  And besides, the boys LOVE Rudy's food.  Then I went to a presidency meeting.  It was good.  We talked a lot.  I REALLY like the people I work with.  Well, I should go to bed now.  Good bye!

3 comments:

Naomi said...

I love this! Did you find that huge journal that you kept about a fictional family?

Mama said...

So wonderful - I can hear that 10-year-old girl with the hair down to her waist... Oh, how I miss my house full of little kids! Enjoy these years...

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle, I remember 10 year old you so clearly, and your journals for Mrs. Ellis's class. You were always an earnest, beautiful, prolific writer. I found your blog a few months ago after a long talk with Susannah (Bock) Castle. It seemed wrong not to reach out, finally. Anyway, I'd love to write more, but not in your comments and I'm not a facebooker :) "Jenny" (I switched to my middle name) Brook Gamble. brook.gamble at gmail.com