Friday, June 03, 2011

Brigham and the forbidden fruit

Ben and I went on a date tonight.  It was great.  For me, anyway.  :-)  We went to Hancock Fabric to check out the "blow-out sale" they were having (it wasn't much of a blow-out), and then to Bed Bath & Beyond to buy a bridal shower gift.  I'm sure Ben loved that.  :-)  Actually, he is a pretty good cook and baker, and we came home with a few things we didn't know we needed until we went into the store.  Funny how that happens. 
We left the boys at home with instructions to be safe, be nice, clean up after themselves, and call us right away if there were any problems.  (I have to say I adore living in Texas which actually believes in freedom for the individual and leaves it up to the parents to judge the age, emotional maturity and capability of the children in deciding the appropriateness in leaving them home alone.)

Well, we came home, parked, and walked in through the door from the garage.  The first thing we heard was Brigham calling from up stairs, "I didn't have anything to do with it!" 
Uh-oh.  That's never a good thing to hear.
"What happened?" I asked.
"Something really annoying, but I didn't have anything to do with it!"
I start going around the house, expecting to find a great big mess, something broken, or some other obvious sign of mischief.  There was nothing.  The kitchen was clean, the dishes were in the sink, the food put away (except for a bag of cherries, but that was OK).  The play room was in order except for the ever-present scattering of blocks around the current construction site.  The living room seemed just as it had appeared when we left.
"I don't see anything, Brigham, what happened?"
"Look right around you, you'll see it!  It's really annoying but it wasn't my idea!"
I looked around.  The exercise bike was there.  The right foot strap was broken, but it's been broken since the day we put it together.  The computer hadn't fallen to the ground.  The synthesizer still had all its keys.
"Brigham, I don't know what you're talking about, just tell me!!"
"It's the chocolate bar, mom.  Dad told us not to open it, but Joseph opened it."
Ah-ha!!  I just had to laugh.  Ben brought a chocolate bar home from work and told the boys they could have it, but not to open it right then.  The idea was for them to eat actual dinner first.  Well Brigham, our resident police man, being the very obedient and exactly diligent child that he is, took Ben at his word and had no intentions of opening that chocolate bar until his dad gave the OK.
"Oh, that's OK Brigham!  Dad brought it home for you!  We just wanted you to eat dinner first!  You can have some, come on downstairs and you can break off a piece!" 
And then the truth comes out.
"Well, I already had a piece.  Joseph gave one to me and I ate it."
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!  Joseph must have been beguiled by the serpent (maybe it was Mosey), and then, partaking of the forbidden fruit, bade Brigham to partake of it too.
It wasn't exactly the original sin, but it sure made me laugh.  :-)

If that's the worst trouble they get into while Ben and I are out of the house, I say we go on dates more often!

No comments: