Monday, June 21, 2010

Pretty soon

Pretty soon I'll have a brand-new niece! My little sister Rachel will be having her first baby sometime in the next few hours. I'm so excited! I wish I could hop on a plane and be there with her.
This summer we are doing 4-day-a-week lessons, and the boys chose today as their free day. Perfect, because I really needed some time to catch up on laundry.
They woke up and decided they were going to do puzzles. There are now approximately 37 puzzles on our big homeschool table in the living room. OK, maybe not 37, but a lot. And I only had to yell at them twice about puzzle pieces on the floor. I had fun remembering when Brigham was a four year old and obsessed with puzzles. He was good at them! I didn't even have to help him.



Here are a couple of other random things:
1. I finished the Old Testament! All the way through, word-for-word. I read the NIV Study Bible, and also read every single word of every single footnote, which was a lot longer, word-wise, than the Old Testament itself. Whew! It took me two and a half years. What shall I read next? It's probably time for the Doctrine and Covenants, but I need to get a BYU study guide to it. It is probably my least favorite book of scripture, and I feel really guilty about it. I know it's full of all kinds of treasures. I enjoyed the Old Testament so much because of the footnotes in the NIV study bible. I got about 500% more out of it than I would have had I just read it straight. I know the same thing will be true of D&C. I wonder if I can get one of the BYU study guides online?
2. My boys are weird. Well, that's nothing new, but here's a recent example. Whenever we get ready to go somewhere, the boys race around trying to be the first ones in the van. Then they hide in the back seat, and when the next boy comes in, the first one pops up and yells out, "POP GOES THE WEASEL!!" And all kinds of laughter ensues. Then the two of them hide in the back seat and wait for the last boy and do it all over again. Joseph hates being the last boy in the car, and stands outside of the car yelling, "Don't say pop goes the weasel!" "Mom, tell them not say pop goes the weasel!" So I dutifully say, "Boys, don't say pop goes the weasel!" But it does no good. As soon as Joseph steps up into the car, Brigham and Joseph jump up from the back. "POP GOES THE WEASEL!!" It's pretty much the funniest thing ever. At least, to them. :-)

1 comment:

Mama said...

I'll send you some great resources on the D&C -- you'll soon love it as much as the others :)