Thursday, October 22, 2009

shots

I finally got my act together and got a regular primary care physician. Like I need another doctor. I guess this is #4 for me.
I got my first set of immunizations yesterday! Four shots in the arm. I imagine it was rather less traumatic than the first time I got these shots when I was a baby. :-)
The doctor was somewhat confused at first. She asked if I were traveling abroad, and I had to explain the whole stem cell transplant/ M.S. thing, and even then she was a little baffled about how to proceed. I guess I'm her first post-stem cell transplant patient. Dr. Hutton gave me an immunization schedule when I saw him in July, and eventually we figured it out.
I ought to have started these a couple of months ago, but I just couldn't bring myself to make another doctor's appointment. I was moaning to Ben a few days ago about how I wish I never had to walk into another doctor's office again for the rest of my life. Can't I just do phone consultations? :-) I can give myself my own shots, can't they just phone them in to the pharmacy and I'll pick them up myself? (I'm kidding) (sort of)
I have to go back to my Austin neurologist next week for prescription refills. I haven't seen him since I think February or March, so it's been a while, but I still don't want to go. I like Dr. Tallman, he's a good doctor and a very nice guy. I'm just really sick of doctors.
I mostly want to coast along right now and try as much as possible not to think about myself in any medical terms at all. But I've got this appointment next week, then in another couple of months I have to go in for another set of immunizations. After that, I think I'm free until next July!! (Barring anything unforeseen, of course, knock on wood).

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Did you get a sticker after you got your shots? I think you should. I can only imagine how over doctors appointments you must be. I have never had a mammogram and have been told that a first one should be done at age 35 for a baseline, then go from there. Each year since I have turned 40, they keep saying to do it. I finally scheduled it, and it was supposed to be on Wednesday, a couple of days ago. But I didnt feel like it, so I rescheduled it. Good job getting in there and finally getting started on your immunizations. I hope you have a very healthy year.

Mama said...

As I recall you were one of my "tough" babies who didn't cry very much when you got your shots, which made it even harder on the nurses! They told me they would far rather have the babies scream because then it didn't make them feel so bad when they had to stick them again and again! I feel exactly the same about doctors and I have no excuse! But good for you for getting this done. I love you! Mama