Sunday, June 28, 2009

Trip Days 12-14: Rosalynde's house

We got to St. Louis on Sunday night. Ben had to work the next day, then had a conference for the next 3 days, so the boys and I got to hang with my sister Rosalynde and her kids.
It was great to see Rosalynde and her new baby Miles, and wonderful to see my boys rediscover their cousins.
Rosalynde has a great basement (I want a basement!!) and the kids all went down there and raided her dress-up clothes (my boys love dressing up), and entertained themselves beautifully. Joseph and Jack especially were pals.


We went to the zoo one day (St. Louis has a FREE zoo!) and the boys loved watching the chimpanzees. Brigham took a bunch of (mostly blurry) pictures of the mama and baby chimpanzee cavorting around. I loved watching Brigham and Miles interact. Brigham definitely has a curiosity for babies, and with Miles it was reciprocal.


Another day we went to the park with McDonald's hamburgers and french fries and let the kids play. Mosey found a pair of kitty cat ears in Rosalynde's dress up box, and hardly took them off. He even begged to take them home with us to the hotel in the evening, saying, "I promise I'll say a prayer so I won't forget to bring them back." (It was the sweetest prayer, and he didn't forget them).




Rosalynde told me Jack got this hat for Christmas and hasn't gone a day since without wearing it. I believe it, I don't think I ever saw him without it except at church.


Joseph got in a little Miles-time, too.


And isn't this a sweet shot of Jack and his baby brother?


One of the afternoons I did a little photoshoot with Miles. Brigham was very interested and helped me arrange the blankets and held up a backdrop. Afterward, he created his own little setup and asked if we could take another picture of Miles. Maybe Brigham will be my assistant!


I loved being at Rosalynde's house. I could live in St. Louis, as long as we were in the same city as her and her family. I would love my boys to have cousins to play with all the time, and my sister to be my friend. My MS got so bad so quickly after we moved to Austin, that people here really don't know me from "before." One of the great things about this trip was simply being with my sisters who knew me before, and I think still see me in much the same way. My sisters are my best friends, and have been for quite some time. And probably always will be, because they know *all* of me. Not just the disabled version of myself.

4 comments:

Jill T said...

It's hard to think of you as the "disabled you." In fact just this weekend I was telling your mom how amazing you are. How much you do with your boys, and travelling all over and going on outings and homeschooling, and answering my questions with lengthy details, etc, etc...You will never be "disabled" in my mind. You have talents and abilities beyond measure.

Anonymous said...

There is absolutely NOTHING "disabled" about you! not even close

Mama said...

Jill took the words out of my mouth -- you are doing an incredible job of making sure everyone knows you are not defined by your MS limitations. But I am so glad your sisters are your best friends - I have a distinct memory of telling you that very thing one summer day when you were about 14 years old and wondered why you were cursed with all these sisters :) I told you someday they would be your very best friends. You didn't believe me then - but I knew I was right. Mothers are ALWAYS right! Love, Mama

Christian Jacob Frandsen said...

Jack is so trendy with his hat cocked to the side like that. I miss that boy. And thanks for the pictures of Miles!