Sunday, June 14, 2009

Acrophobia in overdrive

I've always been afraid of heights.
One of my most traumatic childhood experiences was when my dad forced me to descend these wire-mesh steps bolted into the side of a 1,000 foot cliff to see this waterfall in Yellowstone (I think it was Yellowstone?). My dad thought if he forced me to do it, I'd see it wasn't so bad, and would get over my fear of heights. Well, it didn't work. I almost threw up from fear, and to this day, I NEVER want to do anything like that again.
I thought I'd gotten a little better as an adult, but then we went to see Up (the new Pixar movie) on Friday night, and I spent the entire time almost hyperventilating from acrophobia by proxy.
We saw it in 3D which was incredible, but almost too real.
It was a wonderful movie in every way, I really loved it. But it scared me to death!
I'm such a baby.

2 comments:

Dan and Merideth said...

I hate heights too!

Next time we can be babies together!

Mama said...

And to this day I feel terrible that I let you go through that trauma. As I recall, I did take you back before we got to the very bottom because I could tell you were not just being melodramatic. Daddy's "as if" theory (act as if you're not afraid of heights and you won't be... act as if everything is just fine and it will be...)is proven wrong yet once again. You can mail your psychotherapy bills straight to Daddy :) Love, Mama