Monday, June 15, 2009

New Calling

Friday I got a call from the Bishop asking me and Ben to meet with him at 8:30 before church.
Uh-oh.
What does this mean?? It couldn't be a calling for Ben, he *just* got a new calling (primary pianist). So it must be me.
I knew the tenure of our Relief Society president was nearing its end (about 3 years, I think), so I figured the presidency was being reorganized.
Was I being fired from my old job released?
Well, I was released, but it was out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Now I'm the 2nd counselor in the RS presidency, AKA the Enrichment counselor.
Huh? Has the world gone crazy? I feel so completely inadequate to this job.
To make matters worse, our 2nd quarter big activity is on the books for next month, and you know what's been planned for it? Well, hmmm, nothing, actually.
So, my plea to all of you LDS women who may be reading this post, is to email me and tell me what you love about your R.S. enrichment activities (quarterly activities, small groups, whatever), what you hate, what works and doesn't work, and any advice you may have.
We had our first presidency meeting last night and something I came away with is the desire to make all our activities be spiritually meaningful, and be enjoyable and relevant to all the sisters.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll have lots of times when I ask for advice, but really, I'd love any words of wisdom anyone has about this new calling. Email me at gfturner at gmail dot com.

4 comments:

Mama said...

Oh my goodness! You will be FANTASTIC!! And I am SO GLAD it's you and not me :) I will email you with my ideas and observations about enrichment nights. You already figured out the key -- make them meaningful spiritually as well as socially. The sisters will come if it's worthwhile -- they won't if it's just fun. I'm proud of you, Gabrielle! Love, Mama

Rachel said...

We just had a really great enrichment activity - all the sisters donated services or goods (I got 4 lb.s of delicious toffee, and jam-making lessons!), and the RS handed out $100 of monopoly money. A willing brother came in to be our auctioneer, and the bidding began. For desserts we had wonderful pies. It was a lot of fun, and spiritual, too. The YW participated, which was a nice touch. I really like how our RS is organized in the ward - I'll give you a call sometime to tell you about it.

Jill T said...

Gabrielle, you'll be great at this! I had this calling a couple years ago and it was a lot of fun. Work, but fun. I'll email you a few of our themes.

Christine said...

I wish I were able to go to your enrichments! It'll be great, this calling was made for you even if it doesnt' seem that way to your humble self. You are so creative and classy and GOOD at EVERYTHING, I envy the women in your ward.