Thursday, April 03, 2008

Senior pictures

So my previous favorite type of picture to take was maternity portraits, but I think my new favorite may be Senior portraits. I got to take senior pictures of one of the Laurels in our YW, and we had such a fun time. She indulged me in all the different places/poses I wanted to take and she ended up with 96 proofs (!!). I was able to take the pictures without too much difficulty, because her mom and sister were there to lug around my gear, hold my reflector, etc. I brought a step-stool with me so I could sit down whenever necessary. It has 2 steps, so I could get a variety of angles, and could also use it to help myself up if I sat on the ground. I was very gratified to see I could still do it. I wouldn't be able to chase little kids around, that's for sure, but 17 year olds, those I can handle.
I rented a Canon 5D for this photoshoot, and I WANT ONE SO BAD!!!!! I could go into all the reasons I love it, but most of the reasons are pretty technical which wouldn't mean anything to most of you. But this camera increased my percentage of usable shots by a WHOLE lot (that's the reason for 96 proofs-- with my 20D I have to overshoot because I know a bunch of the shots won't be usable because of it's spotty auto-focus), and also dramatically decreased my post-processing time. I WANT ONE! On e-bay, they're still going for about $1600-$2000, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get one any time soon. Maybe Canon will come out with another pro-sumer camera which will drive down the price of the 5D. I can always hope, right? Meanwhile, I've reserved the 5D again for a family photo-shoot I'm hoping to do tomorrow night (if the weather cooperates).












5 comments:

Kelly said...

Pretty, pretty pretty! I think if you had pink disposable Barbie camera, you could still capture some beautiful pictures of Jessica, she's so photogenic.

Yes indeed, you got some nice ones of her. I'm glad you didn't go into detail about the Canon 5D or what ever it is, because it's a foreign language to me. I know nothing about cameras, lenses, etc. Kelly is really starting to get into photography, but he takes pictures of such icky things sometimes. Like spiders and bugs--yuk! Hey, so do I. But only once in a while.

I'm glad to hear you were able to maneuver all the photography and getting around, and had help with Michele and Hannah.

You're an AWESOME photographer.

Gabrielle said...

You're right, Kelly, I could probably use any camera and get good pictures of Jessica. When we were taking the pictures, I joked to her mom, "Oh, to be 17 and beautiful again!" But then I had to get real with myself. I was NEVER as beautiful as Jessica, EVER in my life! :-)

Tell Kelly that a great place to get lenses is off of Craigslist. I've purchased 3 lenses from people on Craigslist and have been very happy.

Stephen said...

mmmmm.......5D. so tasty and delicious. i want one too.

Stephen said...

it's good to see us finally agreeing in blog comments, isn't it?

Gabrielle said...

Stephen, LOL!!
It's good to see that art can sometimes still transcend politics (or at least, a common coveting of Canon technology!).
What are you doing with your photography these days? My mom sent me a letter of your dad's that referenced working on a Newsweek photoshoot? That's great!