Sunday, September 29, 2013

family letter 09/29/2013

Hi family,
This last week flew by.  I had the 5:40 class for seminary this past week.  I think it went OK.  I had some more inspired lessons than others.  I'm having a terrible time getting my kids to read scriptures at home.  I'm not sure what to do about it.  They are good kids, just very busy and it's not in their schedule.  I've been texting them every evening to remind them what the next day's reading is, but it's not really helping.  I had my lowest-ever attendance on Friday-- THREE kids showed up.  I'm trying to think positive and take it as a convoluted compliment-- I had texted the kids the night before to tell them there was no specific reading assignment since we were going to be doing scripture mastery stuff (which they  normally like).  So when only 3 kids showed up, I can only assume it is because the rest of them figured that without my scintillating, educating, and inspiring lessons, it just wasn't worth coming.  Maybe?  :-)
School went OK.  Our routine is going pretty well.  I had a couple of days of some uncooperation which got me down.  I really need to find better ways to handle those situations so they don't deteriorate into lose-lose power struggles.  Getting more sleep so that my patience isn't razor thin would help.  Also there was some fighting and not getting along between Brigham and Joseph which makes me sad.  I still need about 2 extra hours each day so I can really be ready for school the next day-- time to correct work done that day and time to get more prepared for the next day's lessons.  Some topics this year are requiring more advance preparation from me than in the past.  We're studying logic this year for the first time, and the book we're using seemed pretty good until we got to analyzing the truth value of if-then statements.  It gets extremely counter-intuitive and very frustrating.  Shall I try and slog through it anyway?  I don't know.  I need a few hours to go through the book and decide if it gets less or more frustrating.
What else.  Brigham and Mosey went to the symphony with me on Friday night to hear a Prokofiev piano concerto as well as selections from Wagner's Ring series.  It was wonderful.  I love that my boys like to go with me.  I wish Joseph would go, too!  I think he would have enjoyed it (he likes Prokofiev).
We got lots of rain this week.  The problem in Texas is that we tend to get our year's worth of rain all at once.  :-)  The boys had fun running around outside and getting drenched.  Mosey and Brigham went swimming during the downpour-- almost no difference in or out of the pool!  We had some 90's days still this week, but it looks like things will cool off this coming week.  I hope.  I'm ready for fall to arrive.
I hope everyone has a good week.  EVA, I can't believe you are leaving!  Your time in the MTC has gone by very fast for me-- I hope it was just right for you.  I love you and miss you!

Love,
Gabrielle

No comments: