Monday, November 19, 2012

11/18/2012 Family Letter


Hi everyone,

Happy Birthday Christian!!  You'll have lots of people thinking of you on Thursday and being very thankful that you are our brother/son!

This last week was pretty good.  No police visits.  School was decent.  Orchestra, archery, piano lessons, violin lessons, practicing, the usual.

I cooked several meals this week-- real meals-- which is something to note, I guess!  The reason was mostly because Brigham and Joseph got herbst appliances--- installed?  applied?  inserted?  attached?  I have no idea what the right word is.  A herbst appliance is basically an orthodontic device that hooks the upper and lower jaw together with these metal bars attached to the upper molars and lower molars.  The boys can open and shut their mouths, but can't move their jaw forward or back.  The appliances keep their lower jaw pushed forward so only their front teeth touch.  Over time, their jaw will grow into the right position, giving them a correct bite.
It's a little hard to explain, but the upshot is they can't touch their back teeth together at all, which makes chewing a bit... difficult.  So I made broccoli curry soup, cheese and broccoli soup (I had a lot of broccoli!), quiche, pumpkin bread, banana bread, and lots of smoothies.  Apparently kids learn to adapt and figure out how to eat regular food, although I'm not sure how that will happen. Brigham and Joseph are not too happy about it all...  But they are good sports, and in 8-12 months it will all be done, and they'll avoid the orthodontic nightmare that Ben has been through over the past several years because his bite was never corrected.

Saturday afternoon/evening the boys had a couple of friends over to play airsoft wars.  I have mixed feelings about these airsoft guns.  Not because I have a problem with them playing with guns, but because, although they have given the boys hours of fun playing with each other, they have also resulted in a lot of arguments. Being an airsoft referee is not my idea of fun.  Recently my boys have been vacillating between playing together really nicely, and driving each other crazy (on purpose).  I keep reminding myself of how often I did not get along with my sisters, and how great everything turned out in the end, but the picking at each other really drives me crazy..  I just wish everyone would put half as much effort into finding NICE things to do and say to each other, as they do in finding ANNOYING things to do and say to each other...

I've listened to too many podcasts about politics this past week, and have gotten all upset again.  Must stop doing that.  Ben hasn't read or listened to any news at all since the election, which is unheard of for my Drudge Report junkie husband.

Well, that's all for tonight.  I'm in the middle of a massive paperwork project which I don't want to finish, but really must.  I need a secretary.

I'll leave you with some pictures from our family reunion that I've been slowly working on.  I just can't get enough of that sweet baby Jacob.

Love,
Gabrielle


Jacob's first bath.  He was not a fan.  :-)








No comments: