Friday, November 16, 2012

11/15/2012

1.  I've been too occupied writing comments back and forth to my friend Julie regarding my "day after" post last week, to do my daily updates the last couple of days.  Julie is one of my homeschooling mentors, and has three fabulous boys.  We are also polar opposites on the political spectrum, but I hope she still likes me anyway.

2.  Brigham and Joseph got herbst appliances placed this morning.  Poor boys.  They are basically these metal hinges connecting their upper and lower jaws, pushing the lower jaw forward and making normal mouth movement (including those required for chewing!) very difficult.  They are such good sports.  We got Sonic shakes and slushes on the way home, had smoothies for lunch, and cream of broccoli soup for dinner.  I'm going to have to expand my repertoire of liquid meals.  The orthodontist assured the boys that most people totally adapt to the appliances within about a week.  I sure hope so, or else Thanksgiving Day is going to be a pretty big bummer for the boys.
Later on in the evening Joseph got really despondent about it.  They will likely need to have them in for 6 months to a year.  That is a LONG time for an eleven year old.  It's especially long when you're still on the first (most painful) day.  I told him in 2 weeks if he was still in misery, we'd take him in to have the appliances removed, and go with headgear instead.  I always leaned more toward headgear, since you can take it off during the day!  But Ben is a big fan of herbst appliances, and the boys both told me that's what they wanted, so I'm hoping it all works out.  I think it will.

3.  Our art group came over this afternoon.  We made pumpkin bread.  Making pumpkin bread with 8 kids (and two babies) is quite the ordeal.  I tried to let each child help in dispensing various ingredients, mixing, greasing pans, etc.  After we poured the batter into the pans, and were about to put them in the oven, I licked my finger which had some of the batter on it, and realized that we forgot the sugar!!  That would have been a disaster.  :-)  So we poured all the batter back into the bowl, added 6 cups of sugar (yikes!), and the resulting loaves are delicious.  Since they had to bake for 90 minutes, Brigham came with me later on in the evening to deliver the finished loaves to everyone.

1 comment:

Julie M. Smith said...

I *DO* like you, but I feel terrible that I have been taking up your blogging time.

I think I had the same appliance when I was a kid (I forget what mine was called). It kind of looks like shock absorbers in the back of the mouth? Anyway, I hated that thing. Good thing pretty much all Thanksgiving food is mushy . . . I've always disliked that about Thanksgiving. Could never figure out why I didn't like the meal until the year we had an 8 month old baby and I realized he could eat everything on my plate!