Tuesday, September 11, 2012

09/10/2012

1.  So busy!  We are moving into our new house.  The boys are very excited.  We spent the night there last night (all we had were mattresses and a few blankets) because they couldn't wait!  It was pretty fun to see them in the house, all empty and completely ours for the first time.  They ran to their new rooms and spun around and yelled like crazy.  Cute.  The previous owners are very nice people.  The wife left us a house-warming gift-- an incredible handmade quilt.  She is an avid quilter, and it is unbelievably beautiful.  I don't feel like we are deserving of a gift that reflects that many hours of work!

2.  All the decisions when it comes to unpacking can be a bit overwhelming.  How to make my kitchen wheelchair accessible?  My friends Stephanie and Pamela came over and helped me pack up most of my kitchen and take it over to the new house where we unpacked a lot of it.  But a lot of it is still sitting in boxes because I can't figure out exactly how I want to organize everything.  I went to The Container Store tonight and brought home a bunch of shelving-type-stuff to try and make more storage space available at a lower level.  The kitchen has lots of storage space, but most of it is above where I can comfortably reach.

3.  Brigham and Mosey had their first orchestra rehearsal tonight.  We were late because the parking at that school (O. Henry Middle School) was terrible, and some non-handicapped people were parked in the handicapped parking spaces.  Grr.  But it was the first day so it was OK.  Mosey LOVED it.  He said immediately afterward, "That was AWESOME!"  He made instant friends with his stand partner, over a conversation about Apache helicopters.  :-)  The experience was made even better when a bird ended up in the cafeteria (where the rehearsal was), causing all sorts of excitement among the kids.  I think Brigham had a good time, too, although I didn't sit in on his rehearsal (he's in the next level up from Mosey).  He commented afterward that it was the most number of kids he's been with since being in public school.  He didn't have a stand partner (we were late), but after seating tests next week he should have one.  I was amazed at how many kids were in the orchestras!  It's going to be a good experience for both of them, I think.

4.  Big news from the weekend was Ben getting called to be a counselor in the Bishopric.  He'll be good in the calling, and this last year of him being Elders Quorum president has acclimated us to his heavy meeting schedule.  Ben is looking forward to working with the new Bishop, Brother Hepworth (Bishop Hepworth!).
I got a message on Thursday night, as we were driving to Lowes.  I listened to it in Lowes, and as soon as I heard "This is Brother Eastley," my stomach dropped to my toes, because I knew what it had to be.  At first I was not happy about it.  But, over the next couple of days I came around (or maybe resigned myself?  :-)), and now it's all good.  I hope Ben feels the same!

No comments: