Tuesday, March 01, 2011

flute lesson followup

Joseph had his first flute lesson yesterday.  It didn't start out too auspiciously.  It took us forever to figure out how to get into the apartment building, and then once we did and knocked on the door, Francois wasn't there!  He forgot and thought we were meeting him at UT (where he is a PhD student in flute performance) for the lesson.  Instead, our knocking woke up his 3-days-overdue pregnant wife who nicely let us in to wait for him to get home. 
It turns out Francois isn't very experienced in teaching beginners.  Also, he has a French accent, which, while perfectly understandable to me, I think gave Joseph some trouble.  It's not the accent as much as it is his use of unexpected words-- probably normal in French, but not as commonly used in context in English.  There are more commonly-used English words with the same meaning.  I kept wanting to translate for Joseph to make sure he understood, but restrained myself.  Francois also used some flute terms (I think they were flute terms, anyway), like "articulation" that Joseph doesn't know.  I tried to explain as best I could on our drive home. 
The homework he sent home is pretty challenging-- using just the head joint blowing out various rhythms using different articulation and breathing.  The problem is that Joseph doesn't have good breath control yet, and can't sustain a sound for the 4 counts at 60bpm required for the exercises.  I personally think it was too challenging for a first lesson.  Anyway, at the end of the lesson, Francois said he would get some beginner flute books to teach from, and that will probably be a much better way to go.
So, I'm withholding judgment until after we get the books, to see if he changes his teaching technique at all before making my final decision. 
I think Joseph enjoyed himself at the lesson, but he got discouraged practicing today.  I want to let this be Joseph's thing as much as I possibly can.  I'm not going to monitor his practicing unless he asks me to help.  And at the end of his lesson yesterday, Francois said that normally he teaches with only the student, so I won't be there to see what he's teaching him anyway.  Which also worries me a bit, since if Joseph is confused I won't be able to help him.
The problem with Joseph is the same problem it always is.  He doesn't want to do what I tell him to do.  He actually came out of his room today to ask me what he was supposed to do in his practicing.  So I went in and explained the assignment, had him try it, and realized immediately that he doesn't have the breath control to do the exercises as written.  So I told him if I were him I would simply practice blowing long tones-- as long as he can hold them, using as little breath as he can.  Then practice the patterns just blowing air on the back of his hand, to get used to the rhythm and articulation before he tries it on the flute.  But of course, Joseph didn't do that.  He went on trying to do it on the flute, taking little breaths between each note, which defeats the purpose of the exercise.  Sigh...  I didn't say anything, though.  I refuse to be overbearing.  Maybe tomorrow he'll follow some of my suggestions on his own.  If not, then I'll let his teacher decide what to do.
Anyway, I'll give the teacher a couple more weeks, and then I may look elsewhere.  I like the idea of a male teacher, but mostly I just want a good teacher who will help Joseph love the flute. 

I've noticed this blog has been quite Joseph-centric recently.  I do have 2 other boys (and a husband!) who I promise I pay a attention to!  But their challenges are a lot more straightforward, and I have a handle on what I need to do about them.  Joseph is the tricky one.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

At my house, they all take turns being tricky. Right now it is Joseph. In a while, it will be someone else. Way to go on letting him do his own thing. It's difficult, but I think you're on the right track.

Mama said...

This is Mama, not Naomi :) As a one-time flute teacher myself, I think you're right about his expectations being way too high for a truly beginning student. So give him a couple of weeks to figure things out and then re-assess. But I think it would be best for Joseph to have his lessons without you there... The more this can truly be his own thing, the better. Tell him to keep at it -- and tell him that the flute requires MORE air to play than a tuba!! So he needs to build up his lung capacity every day, little by little. I love you all!

Anonymous said...

Mine are the same way...my blogs get boy-centric...I swear I have a daughter! She's just not as err...naughty/frustrating/eye-crossingly-frustrating as the boys are.