Monday, March 14, 2011

3.14 Happy Pi Day!!

Since we are pretty big nerds around here, we had to celebrate Pi day.  Joseph recently finished a unit on finding the area and circumference of circles in math, so he helped me make our Pi Day pie.
For dinner we had chicken shepherd's pie.
(Joseph is wearing the "hat of shame" which apparently the boys make each other wear when they do something very, very bad, like knock down someone's kapla block tower. I'm not sure what Joseph's crime was.  :-))

And for dessert we made cherry blueberry Pi pie.
What do you think about that?  Pretty snazzy, huh?

Speaking of Pi, when helping Joseph with his math, I finally realized WHY the area of a circle is 3.14r2.
Wanna know why?  Here's why.
Imagine a square with a circle inscribed in it.  Now, divide the square into quarters, with each side of each quarter being "r" in length.  What is the area of the square?  4r2 right?  Now imagine that you want to find the area of the circle inscribed within that circle.  Obviously it will be less than 4r2.  How much less?  Well, when you subtract out the 4 corners of the square that the circle does not circumscribe, you end up with 3.14r2.  Neat, huh?
Maybe I'm the only one that never made that connection in elementary school math.  :-)

2 comments:

Mama said...

That pie makes my mouth water!! Next time I'm at your house you need to teach me how to make a pie crust.. Yet one more area in which my daughter has FAR surpassed her mother:)

Kelly said...

Huh??? Ha ha. I'm not a math person. Your children are lucky. Mine are totally missing out. Nice pie!