Saturday, September 19, 2009

soccer!

Today was the boys' first soccer games.
Last night we went to Academy for new soccer cleats and shin guards and socks and soccer shorts. Mosey is playing this year! He was very excited and it was so cute to see him trying on his cleats and go running down the aisles of the store to make sure they fit.
We decided to go with YMCA soccer this year, even though registration closed like a month ago. I called the director and was able to get my boys on some teams (even better, the big boys' team practices at Spicewood Elementary, 2 minutes from our house! How lucky is that?). Their first game (last Saturday) was rained out, so they didn't miss anything.
NYS was great last year, but it sure was hard figuring out scheduling for Ben coaching, and the NYS organization left much to be desired. Not to mention the games were far away.
YMCA looks good to us so far. It's pretty laid back. The big boys' team has a great coach and they had a great time at their game (they won 2-0 and I can tell Brigham's going to be their best player). Mosey's team is a 4-6 yr old team, for kids who have never played before. Their practices are 30 minutes Saturday morning, followed by a "game." They don't really keep score. The purpose seems to be to let the kids get used to kicking the ball and having a good time. Fine by me! I'm glad that Mosey is getting to do something on his own. I sometimes worry about him defining himself as a "little brother." He needs his own things. So even though Joseph and Brigham are also playing, he's on his own team and that is good. And we got him his own cleats and shorts and shin guards even though he could have used hand-me-downs from last year.
I took the big boys to their game this morning and Ben took Mosey to his (1 of only 2 games that will conflict this season-- they are held at different schools so there's no way to be at both!). It was really hard getting there. It's a pretty long walk down a gravel pathway to get to the field. I tried using the wheelchair, but the gravel made it really hard, so I mostly used my crutches. I had to go back to the car halfway through the game to get something, and so getting back to the car after the game (my 4th time down that gravel path) was pretty torturous.
I'm pretty used to my daily life with my physical limitations, but when something new or unexpected comes up like this, I get pretty annoyed. I really wish I could walk.
So, our Saturday's are all planned out for us for the next couple of months! :-)

1 comment:

rmflawyer said...

I could tell from playing with the boys in the back yard that Brigham would be a good soccer player. Joseph just has to decide he wants to do it. he will be fine, i am sure. Some players really gravitate to the keeper position. Maybe Joseph will like that as well.

i would loved to have seen Mosey. it is so fun to see the kids have fun and be excited, and see their skills increase.

Love Daddy