Saturday, September 26, 2009

crazy babies :-)


We went to the park today. The boys had to bring their star wars light sabers (of course). Soon they were off playing on the equipment and building sand castles and the light sabers ended up on the picnic table bench next to me. A little girl, maybe 14-16 months old or so, wandered over and picked up one of the light sabers and started toddling around with it. Mosey saw her and came running over. "Mom, that baby has Joseph's light saber! Tell that baby to give it back!" I told him it was ok for her to play with it and I would keep an eye on her. Moses wasn't convinced, and followed her around for the next few minutes, obviously suspicious.
I glanced over a couple of minutes later and saw him knelt down in front of her, in earnest conversation about the light saber. It was so funny! He has so little experience with babies, I don't think he realized that she can't talk, and most likely didn't understand a word he was saying. :-)
Something about the way he was calling her "that baby" made me laugh. To him she wasn't a boy or a girl, or maybe not even human, just this strange species called "baby." It was like he was pointing out "that dog" or "that squirrel." She was "that baby" who was going to abscond with our light saber!
I snapped a picture of him in conversation with "that baby." When I pulled out my camera, Joseph raced over to try to prevent the picture being taken, and distracted Moses from his interaction, but it is still funny.

Tonight we went to see the bats (again). I picked up Ben from work and we headed downtown. When we got down to the bridge and parked about a block away, Ben got out of the van to get the wheelchair out of the back of the van. Oops, no wheelchair. So he carried me piggyback all the way to the viewing area! He is strong. I was embarrassed.
Ben doesn't understand why I care. I tried to explain what it is like always being conspicuous everywhere I go. Unless I am in my car, everywhere I go in public, I'm conspicuous and people look at me. It doesn't necessarily bother me, I would look, too. It's just weird because I'm not an attention-seeking person and it feels strange to have people looking at and wondering about me all the time.
But my only other option was to stay in the van by myself and I didn't want to do that either.
Ben bought the boys a plastic light sword (like we need another light saber). The boys (mostly Mosey) had fun whirling it around in the dark. I hope they had fun, anyway, because it had already broken before we even left the park... Oh well.
Joseph let me take one picture of him with the light saber, only because the light cast an eerie blue cast on his face.

2 comments:

Rosalynde said...

Oh my goodness, I love that Mosey! I can completely imagine him talking to *that baby*. I so wish he could see my little Miles speeding around like a maniac on his hands and knees---Miles really is a "crazy baby!"

gabby1497 said...

heyy im gabrielle turner and everybody calls me gabby i just thought i should write u bc i think its pretty kool we have the same name, well bye!! =)