Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Holding steady

Everything went pretty well yesterday.
I had bloodwork at MD Anderson first, and then we went to Baylor for the EDSS testing. My walking test was first, and I was nervous, but it was easier than last time mostly because Ben was there. I only made it as far as I did last time, which is really frustrating to me. I just can't figure out why it is so much harder there than at home. One problem is that I don't trust the floor. The hall I have to walk down has the shiny vinyl tiles, like at a grocery store, you know? Anyway, they are NOT perfectly flat. You can see all kinds of little bumps when you see the light reflected on them. Not a big deal for anyone else, but for me, any tiny little bump like that can make me catch my toe. Plus, I just don't trust it, so I have to lift my feet up further which takes more energy, which makes the walking more difficult.
I told the doctor how much better I can do at home, and he said that I should video tape myself walking at home, and he'd check to see if video observation would be accepted for the study. I want to send him a tape anyway, just to prove to him that I am not lying!
The rest of the EDSS testing was fine, same as usual. I'm not getting worse.
I talked to Dr. Hutton more about the trial, and whether they've had any other patients start the process. They've had 3 others qualify, but one backed out, another has gone more than a year fighting with the insurance company and is realizing it will mostly likely never be approved, and the third is now in month 6 in appeals with their insurance company. It makes me so sad for them. And so amazed that it happened for me. If Ben hadn't gotten this job which brought us to Austin right when my MS started getting bad, if the Houston program hadn't started accepting patients RIGHT during the 5 month window when I was within the EDSS range the study required, this never would have happened. We owe a lot to Texas Mutual, since they paid for it. They didn't have to, but after UHC denied us, they approved. Pretty miraculous.
After the EDSS testing, I dropped Ben and the boys off at the children's museum and I went back to MD Anderson for my appointment with Dr. Popat. Everything is going fine there. My blood counts are stable. Everything is still a little below "normal" ranges, but not dangerously so, and my counts have held steady for the past few months. Then I went to the Baylor Clinic for MORE blood work (33 vials in all yesterday, over 3 different blood draws), and then back to pick up Ben and the boys before my MRI.
I was dreading the MRI, since the last few I've had have been so unpleasant. But the hospital has a new toy! Special movie-projector goggles made for use with MRI machines. It was so cool! The goggles were like virtual reality goggles, with the movie projected right in front of me. The MRI still wasn't fun, but wow, what a difference watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets can make! What a brilliant invention, and how awesome for the little kids in that hospital who have to go in for MRI's. That has got to be such a traumatic experience for a little child.
We got back home a little after midnight last night, and unfortunately, Joseph spent the whole night throwing up. So he's got the bug now. I hope Brigham will be spared.

3 comments:

StrykerLOVE said...

thanks for keeping us up on your stats - love the movie goggles - people who invent things like that deserve a high five for making life easier for patients!

Jill T said...

I'm glad things went well for you. And I'm glad they invented goggles for you. Don't you ever wonder, why didn't I think of this?

Angee said...

Can I say I hate hospitals. I hope you don't have to go back for a while. I hope you get to sleep in!!!!!!!! I am so glad your path led to or God led you guys to Austin.