Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Spicewood Elementary School Wall of Shame

So Tuesday was the boys' Gallery Night at school. This is an evening when parents are invited to come to the school and peruse the hallways where the students' artwork is displayed. It was very nice. We enjoyed seeing Brigham and Joseph's print creations:


then we walked over to the library to admire their clay frogs:





Along the way we saw many other very nice art projects. Spicewood Elementary School really does have an exceptional art teacher, and art is far and away the favorite class of both of my boys. She does lots of really great projects, and I could tell her students really have learned about art.


As some of you may recall, last year I was a little, um, shall we say "amused" to see the high percentage of displayed artwork under the theme of environmentalism (see this post). This year I was pleasantly surprised not to find any artwork at all that could reasonably be connected to environmentalism or any other political agenda. Maybe the school is outgrowing that little obsession?


Well, we were about to head out back to the car, but Joseph and Brigham wanted to walk over by the gym just to make sure there weren't any other displays that might have some of their work. Mosey had sort of had it with gallery night, and Ben made his way over toward the entrance to wait.


As we were heading down the last hallway, I saw a large mural on the wall at the end of the hall. At first I couldn't tell what it was. It seemed to be a giant globe with black splotches all over it. As I got closer, I saw that the black splotches were actually footprints. Curious, I went right up to the wall and saw that each footprint was inscribed by a different student. And then it hit me. These black footprints were CARBON FOOTPRINTS! And each was inscribed with some terrible deed that increased the carbon footprint of the corresponding child.




It was hilarious, but it was also sort of horrifying. I mean, the wall may as well have been some sort of twisted confessional, where the students publicly confessed their "sins." The shame implied in each statement was really amazing. My words cannot fully describe this "Wall of Shame," so you'll have to click on the picture to see it large. Make sure you read what is written on each footprint. There were dozens and dozens of these footprints, encroaching up from the bottom of the globe, as if steadily covering the earth with filth.


I sat there reading the footprints for a good long time until Brigham and Joseph were thoroughly impatient with me. I was appalled, yet at the same time, it was just too funny. Just soooo predictable. People say environmentalism isn't a religion? Really? This "confessional" seemed pretty religious to me. I couldn't help but just chuckle under my breath the whole time.


I told Ben about it, but he was not amused. In fact he got really mad. I tried to show him the pictures I took, but he wouldn't even look at them because he didn't want to get more upset.


Now on with my usual disclaimer, I have NO problem with effective, well-reasoned efforts to conserve our earth's resources and to preserve the beauty of God's creation. We have the responsibility to be good stewards of this beautiful planet, and I take that very seriously. I try to teach my children to be respectful of the earth. To never damage or destroy unnecessarily. Never to harm animals or bugs, unless they they pose an immediate danger, or the bugs are trying to invade our home (my philosophy is, we'll leave you alone if you leave us alone. But if you try to take over my home, watch out!). I think this sort of "conservative conservation" is part of being a good citizen and a responsible human being.


But Spicewood Elementary (and I suspect most other public schools) take it WAAAAAAAYYYYY too far. To induce shame and embarrassment in children for the most ridiculous of reasons (eating WHEAT??????), particularly when these little kids are not in charge of the choices their parents make (what sort of car to drive, whether to drive or walk to school, how high to keep the AC, etc., etc., etc.), I think is really very wrong.


And it is so indicative of the confused values of public schools. I kept thinking the whole time how great it would have been to have a "Character Wall." Each student could cut out a handprint and write something that they can do to be a better person, a better friend, more honest, more trustworthy, more helpful.


Anyway, there is much more I could rant about, but I really think the picture speaks for itself.

4 comments:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

OK that is crazy!! I totally agree with you!! I cannot believe that teachers feel that is pertinent information when teaching our children about morals and accountability for poor choices is not!!???

StrykerLOVE said...

oh I love those frogs! I would buy one for my kitchen window they are that goofy cute. Your art teacher does sound great - at least you have that. I am sorry I am just laughing about that wall of shame fiasco. I will give the school their Earth walk but honestly its an obsession! I can see why you are so disgusted with the whole thing. Please some one come tell me how wheat became shameful. And I agree - if you are going to have a wall of shame, send the footprints home to Mom and Dad and have them 'confess'. They are the ones buying the wheat in the first place. How confusing and delusional can environmental guilt get?

Angee said...

How weird! How disturbing!! I hope your kids don't get that teacher. It could have been a wall of fame and how they contributed to the world etc... and left it a better place.

Kelly said...

That wall of shame is pretty bad. I like the other artwork though. Cute frogs!