Monday, May 05, 2008

Nickel Jars


We have begun a new chore incentive dealie here at the Turner house. We were doing star charts for quite a while. Each star was worth $0.05, so every couple of weeks, we'd count up the stars and the boys could go to the dollar store. This worked pretty well for a while, but started to lose its effectiveness, so now we're doing nickel jars!

I got 3 little jars at Hobby Lobby which the boys decorated last Monday for family home evening. Each night, just before bed, we go through our chore/responsibility list, and the boys get to put nickels in their jar. I got $50 worth of nickels at the bank (and wow, 1000 nickels are really HEAVY!), and put them in the "big mama nickel jar," that the boys can draw out of.

I think it's working pretty well! They get 2 nickels for chores they do without me asking.

I'm happy that at 4 and 6, the boys still think a nickel is a lot of money. One of these days, they're gonna wise up, and then I'll be in trouble! :-)

No comments: