Friday, August 03, 2007

Embryo Transfer tomorrow!!

Tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 10:00 I'm going in for my embryo transfer. I'm nervous as I can be. The embryos are being thawed as we speak, and when I get in, they'll tell me how many survived the thaw. My biggest fear is that none will have survived, and I'm trying to prepare myself for that possibility.
Anyway, I would really appreciate prayers that our embryos will thaw correctly, and begin growing again and will be healthy and ready for transfer. And also prayers that my body will be receptive and do what it's supposed to do to prepare a home for them.
I'm going to be a nervous wreck driving up to SLC in the morning, and then going into the doctor's office. And then, if we do indeed have embryos to transfer, I'll be a nervous wreck again for the next 2 weeks until we find out the results. Again, trying to prepare myself for the very real possibility that this won't work, but its hard not to start hoping when you're doing all of this.
We were on our way into the airport yesterday, actually just got through security, when my IVF nurse called to ask if I'd started my progesterone shots. Uh, no, you never gave me instructions to do so!! She asked if I had my supplies with me (I did, no way I'm going to risk my meds getting lost with my baggage), and then told me to hurry and go do my first progesterone shot as soon as I could, since I needed 3 doses before transfer. I guess they wanted to transfer today, but I hadn't started my progesterone shots. I was scared to death because the progesterone shots are intramuscular shots, as opposed to the subcutaneous shots I'm used to, and the progesterone is in this really viscous oil. Those shots hurt like the dickens, and I always made Ben give me those shots in our previous IVF's, but he wasn't with me so I knew I had to do it myself. So we got to our gate, and I got the shot ready and headed into the ladies' room. Mosey came with me, and I think I seriously freaked him out as I stuck that enormous needle (it is 1.5 inches long) straight into my backside. I was very proud of myself, I did it first try. But Mosey started yelling, "No mom, that hurts, that hurts!" I don't know what the other people in the restroom thought I was doing to my poor little boy. So anyway, now I've got a sore rear from 2 of those shots so far, and I'm hoping I'll have at least 8 more weeks of them! (if I get pregnant, I have to stay on the shots till week 10).
Utah is beautiful, the boys are in awe of the mountains, as they are every time we go here. We went to Liz's house (Ben's little sister) for a while today to swim in their pool and play with her two little boys, and then we drove the Alpine loop from American Fork canyon up around and down through Provo canyon. We stopped midway through and hiked a short way up the mountainside in the beautiful pine forest. They wanted to hike more, but my legs are just not cooperating much right now. I told them when Ben comes next weekend, he'll take them on a longer hike.
Ok, that's it for tonight. I'll check in tomorrow night and let you all know how the transfer went.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Gabby, I stopped immediately through this post as I realized you're at the doc's now, and say a prayer. I'll continue to do so for this process. I'm hopeful with you, and wish you the best. You are brave! Those shots sound terribly painful. Have fun in Utah and enjoy yourself. My fingers are crossed for you. {Hugs} --Kelly

Jenn said...

Hi Gabby,

My husband and I are currently preparing for an embryo transfer as well on July 11th. We have an egg donor since my body went into early menopause when I was 32, five years before we met. Anyway, reading what you have gone through has helped me to calm myself a bit. That, and prayer:) My husband is also a Latter Day Saint. I'm born again so we split our time between the two churches. Well, good luck--I hope you get pregnant and have a healthy, happy baby! Proverbs 3:5-6 --Jenn