Monday, July 23, 2007

July 23, 2007

Ok, I promised to post pictures of the "before and after." Here are the "before" pictures. I will post "after" tomorrow, I promise.

Here is the garage as it was about a week ago. Most of the boxes that needed unpacking were behind the master bedroom furniture. I couldn't unpack those boxes until I moved the furniture out. I couldn't move the furniture out until I finished the master bedroom floor. I couldn't finish the master bedroom floor until I could get access to some of my tools. I couldn't get access to my tools until I cleared out some of the garage! Bad cycle there. I finally decided just to bite the bullet, go to Lowe's and buy some tools I knew I already had somewhere in that mess, and break the cycle. It was worth it.

Here is the playroom "before." Horrible, ugly, disorganized mess. It's now very pretty. Naomi and I attacked this first, working pretty much all Sunday afternoon, the first day she was here, to sort through, throw away, and organize all the toys.
CareBears as scripture heroes
Today was a pretty good day. I didn't get much more unpacking done, but I did get some more Young Women work done, went swimming with the boys, did a couple of errands, and had a real Family Home Evening instead of a how-can-we-make-what-we're-already-doing-into-FHE family home evening. LOL. We talked about heroes, what they are, who they are, and how we can be heroes. Joseph decided that Carebears are heroes because they help to rescue other Carebears and teach other people how to care. LOL.
Why does Heavenly Father put bad things on earth?
Today as we were driving home from Tae Kwon Do in a HUGE thunderstorm, Joseph asked me, "Why did Heavenly Father put bad things on the earth?" Talking about storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, and such. Five year olds ask such deep questions! I told him that Heavenly Father put us here on earth so that we could learn to choose the right even when things are hard. If he made human beings and the earth so that everything was really easy, then we'd never learn how to be strong when things are hard. Interesting how my boys have touched on the most fundamental of all human questions at only 5 years of age.

Why do people have to wear clothes?
The last couple of weeks we've had some interesting conversations, my boys and I. Brigham is my little nudist and would go around naked everywhere, all the time, if I would let him. So he asked me *why* he had to wear clothes when we are inside the house, no one can see, and it is warm enough. Hmmm. Hard question! I told him first of all that clothes protect his body so that if he bumps into something or falls down, he won't get as hurt. Second I told him in the Garden of Eden Heavenly Father gave Adam and Eve clothes to wear when they headed out into the world. I told him clothes remind us that we are made in the image of God, and that we are different from animals. Animals don't wear clothes, but they also are not responsible for obeying God's commandments. Clothes help to remind us every day that we should behave like God's children, not like animals that just do whatever they feel like, whenver they feel like it. Was that a good answer?

Who works harder, moms or dads?
Finally, we had a discussion about who has more responsibility, dads or moms. We were walking into the bank and Brigham, I think it was, said, "I think moms have to work more than dads because they have to take care of kids all day and do all the errands." I almost busted out laughing at that. I was severely tempted to say, "Yes, Brigham, that is true. Mothers work much harder than anyone else, and don't you forget it!" But I didn't. I said, "It's true that I am responsible for taking care of you guys all day long, but remember Dad is at work all day, and he has a really big responsibility to make sure that we have enough money to live in a house, drive a car, get groceries, and buy all the things we need. And then when he gets home from work, he has to help me with everything at home!" I asked the boys who seemed more tired at night, me or dad. They agreed that we both seem the same amount of tired, so we both must work the same amount. I did feel a little guilty, though, since I really don't want to communicate to my kids that taking care of them is a burden and nothing but work...

Mosey the swimming squirrel
I've decided Mosey is my little squirrel. Squirrels are these really cute little creatures with tons of energy, running around all the time, but they also seem to like to tease you by holding very still, allowing you to get pretty close to them, and then just as you think you might be able to catch one, (or take a picture of it, if you're me), they dash away quick as anything. Specifically, Mosey is a little squirrel when it comes to swimming lessons. He was doing SO well a couple of weeks ago, jumping into the water all by himself, putting his face in, trying all the things he was asked to try. But something happened, I'm not sure what, and he's suddenly a little squirrel in the water. He just will NOT do what the teacher asks. We've had 3 different instructors the past 3 lessons, and whenever they ask him to do anything, even simple things he's easily and willingly done before, he just turns his head and meows. He won't jump in anymore. He won't put his nose in, he won't hold his breath and then blow it out. It's very frustrating. He'll do more when it is just me and him, but as soon as a teacher gets in, forget it. Last week Joseph and Mosey both had a really bad day. Joseph was upset because he should have been promoted to station 4, but the teacher working with him forgot or something, and he was held back in station 3. So Joseph was sulking and wouldn't do anything. Finally Coach Mike (the head coach guy) came over to him and tried to get him to do some things. Joseph just sat there with a pout on his face and wouldn't respond. I saw him doing this and went over and really got after him. I told him that Coach Mike is the coach and that he MUST be respectful and do what he asks. I was really proud of Joseph because he totally turned his attitude around, and did everything Coach Mike asked, and even had a smile on his face by the end of the lesson. I told Joseph how proud I was, that I know how hard it is to change your attitude when you are feeling mad, but that he had done a really good job. Joseph's been fine ever since, but Mosey is still being a little squirrel. Swimming lessons again tomorrow, so maybe he'll be better, we'll see.
Ok, enough for tonight.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You're a good writer, Gabby.