Monday, September 22, 2008

Soccer

I withdrew Joseph and Brigham from their Town and Country soccer team. I was able to get them signed up with a different league that I think will be much better for them.
I registered with the league online, and then got an email telling me to attend a parents meeting on Saturday. I thought I'd show up and be told what team I'm on, and be given information on the coach, uniforms, etc. Instead, I show up at this elementary school cafeteria where the meeting was being held, and am directed to "Table 4." At Table 4 were all the parents in the zip codes surrounding mine. We were told to choose a coach, decide on practice times and places, and organize ourselves into a team! I, and a lot of the other parents were a little taken aback. I mean, I paid $85 for each child to register, and I would have thought some of that fee would go toward some kind of organization.
So one of the moms finally stepped up and took charge, dividing us up into two teams, and taking volunteers for equipment manager, etc. We didn't assign a coach (none of us had any soccer experience), but decided we'd all sort of pitch in with coaching.
I wasn't feeling too great about things as I left, but I called Ben to talk it over, and eventually decided it will probably be just the thing for Joseph and Brigham. Ben has volunteered to be coach! He played soccer for several years growing up, so he has some knowledge. It will be great for the boys to have their dad as a coach, and all the kids on the team will be beginners, like them. The games are all on Saturday, and I'm sure will be all about having fun, and not too competitive. Ben will be a great coach, he has just the temperament for it. The boys' coach with Town and Country had two of his own kids on the team, and at the scrimmage game last Saturday, pretty much spent the whole time yelling instructions at his kids, and ignored the other players. He was a really nice guy, don't get me wrong, but not a good coach for my boys.
Our first practice is tomorrow night. It'll be fun!

2 comments:

Michele said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the frustrations you have had in finding the boys a soccer team. We have been involved with soccer at the Recreation and Competitive level for almost 10 years, I promise there are better options out there, I hope this team works out well and they develop a love for the game and have fun.

Kelly said...

That is wild that they put you in the cafeteria and had you work things out, but it sounds like it will be good after all. I'm glad Ben will be their coach. I hope it goes well.