Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mosey Mo Mo

Here is a little post about Mosey at four-and-a-half. Just a few things I want to remember about him at this age.

  • One of Mosey's favorite phrases right now is, "How do YOU know?" For example, today we were at a soccer game and Mosey asked me what the coach's name is. I told him, "Steve," and Mosey immediately responded with, "How do YOU know?" Well, if you don't think I know, why'd you ask me? :-) A couple of weeks ago after I smashed my finger in the van door (getting much better, by the way), Mosey was looking at it and asked me if it hurt. "Yes, a little," I said. To which he immediately replied, "How do YOU know?" Silly boy.

  • Mosey has a new love-- his Lil' Kinz Chihuahua he has dubbed "Little Dog." Yes, I'm sad to say the infamous Sunshine Bear has largely gone the way of all good toys. He sometimes still makes an appearance, but one of these days he'll be forgotten out in the garden and be made a real bear by the nursery magic fairy. Like Sunshine Bear, Little Dog has been the cause of many late departures as Mosey or I frantically search the house for the missing toy. Mosey informs me that Little Dog also loves to swim and take baths. Hurrah for the Webkinz corporation making a product that can withstand both of these activities on a very regular basis!

  • Another famous Mosey phrase at the moment is, "I kind of feel like _____ for some reason." The blank can be filled in by things such as "a reading treat," (we keep a box of little candies on top of the fridge as an incentive for practicing reading and math), or "going to Sonic," or "sleeping in your bed," or any number of Mosey's other great loves. My favorite part of this is the "for some reason" part. Hmm, I'm not too confused about your reasons, Mosey!

  • Mosey has a LOT to say. And I do mean a LOT. I remember the twins being in this stage of life, I'd pick them up from Pre-K and they'd both be talking at me a mile a minute, with me frantically trying to keep up and give each boy appropriate comments showing that I am paying attention to them simultaneously. Mosey is just a singleton, but somehow manages to have about as much to say as Joseph and Brigham put together! He always prefaces one of his monologues with, "I hafta tell you something!" He can't just say it, he first has to tell me that he has to say it! To which I usually answer, "Well, you better tell me then!" And we're off to a sometimes very long monologue about something or other. I usually find this trait pretty cute, if eventually exhausting. But it is a problem when I'm doing lessons with the big boys because Mosey's tangents can be very long and have the potential to derail the momentum of the lesson.

  • Mosey is following his mom's long tradition of hating shoes. He takes off his shoes and socks at the soonest possible moment. Brigham does this too. Sometimes I've just gotten his shoes put on, and during the 2 minute ride to preschool, they both mysteriously come off. Usually he explains this with, "I forgot," which is more honest than Brigham's usual excuse at Mosey's age which was, "I didn't take them off!" Later it evolved to the "ghost in the car" that took off his shoes while he was otherwise occupied.

  • Mosey's favorite food is still a "meat and cheese sandwich." He's getting more open to other foods, though, which is a good thing. Time was he'd insist on a meat and cheese sandwich for breakfast, another one at lunch, a third for snack, and he'd often ask for one at dinner although I'd usually insist he eat what I had prepared. He is still my drink kid, though. This kid can drink more fluid at a sitting than anyone I know. He must have a bladder of iron. He is not at all shy about going to the garage refrigerator and bringing in one of Ben's drinks (various diet sodas, etc.) and helping himself. Well, it's better than Coke in a baby bottle, right?

  • Mosey gave his first primary presentation last week when he was asked to read a scripture. He was very cute and did a good job reading 3 Nephi 12:16. He read it perfectly, although he was very quiet. The prayer, scripture, and talk were all given by sunbeams, and some were definitely better in their delivery than others.

  • I'm sure I'll think of some other Mosey-isms, and as I do, I'll probably add them to this list. But for now, I'm sure glad he's my son!

1 comment:

Karly said...

Hi Gabby -
This is Ted, Just thought I would say hi! tell Ben to give me call sometime and send me an email.