Sunday, September 07, 2008

Back to Houston tomorrow

It's been a very busy week, hence no updates. I'm getting used to the homeschooling thing, although there are still plenty of kinks to work out, including a bunch I'm probably not aware of yet! It is a challenge, but a good kind of challenge that I can see paying off.

I worry I'm not doing enough, but then I also worry I'll burn the boys out, so I don't know. I guess it's normal to worry a lot at the beginning.



(writing always goes a little smoother when eating Cheetos, don't you think?)




I'm trying to type without the use of my left pinky which I slammed in the car van door today on the way to church. Ouch. I think I might end up losing the nail. Wanna see? If not, don't look at the next picture! Whenever these sorts of things happen to me, I'm always glad it's me and not one of the boys. We would have been late for church trying to calm down whichever boy it was!


(click to see larger if you really want to see the gory details)

It's been really fun having Rachel here. She is the perfect assistant. That's what I really need, a full-time assistant. I'm trying to be responsible for more and more day-to-day stuff, but she's such a huge help in doing things like getting the boys drinks of water, going to turn on the light in the bathroom for Mosey, clearing off the table after meals, folding and putting away laundry-- all those things that mean lots of walking back and forth. Mosey constantly wants me to "come and look at this," and it kills me to not be able to do it every time he asks (I'd quickly run over my step quota for the day), but Rachel is happy to go and ooh and aah over whatever it is.

On Saturday we went and toured the Capitol building, something the boys and I have done a few times, but it was Ben's first time (and Rachel's). The boys mostly love the Capitol gift shop, don't ask me why. Joseph spent $7 of his own money to buy a Texas flag collar for Mister. He's a sweet boy.

After we went to Countyline to treat Rachel to some good ol' Texas barbecue. And made sure to catch a turtle out back when we were finished.


Luring the turtles in with pieces of bread and turtle pellets.



Success! Ben caught one unawares.



Ben playing the pied piper with the other kids on the dock.


There were so many turtles out that day!!

Then yesterday evening we went up to the church so the boys could ride bikes. Brigham really did great, getting right on and riding with no help! Rachel taught him how to get started without his funny little running start (sort of waddling with his legs on either side of the bike). Mosey just had fun wheeling around on his tricycle. Joseph's bike only had one training wheel, so Ben took it off and worked with him on riding without. He was doing great until Ben let him go after Joseph told him not to. He wasn't too happy about that! He'll get it soon, though. He's not as fearless as Brigham (more like me), so it doesn't come quite as easily.



On the way home we stopped to get the boys shin guards for soccer. I'm frustrated because the boys' team practices on Sundays... I talked to the coach and they can attend a soccer workshop on Monday evenings, and then practice with another team on Wednesdays. But that means two practices a week instead of one, and seems far from ideal. I asked if we could be transferred to another team, but no response yet. But the boys are SO excited, I just can't tell them they can't do soccer this year. Joseph's been asking to play for months. Last night as soon as we got home, the boys put on their shin guards, and they went out to play in the backyard twice today.





And finally, here are some more pictures of my hats! (I know you've been dying to see more...)

The ugly leg things are braces I wear to keep my feet flexed at a 90 degree angle. They prevent my feet from dropping (the dreaded "foot drop") and making me trip.
Now off to bed! I have to be up at 4:30 AM to drive out to Houston. Fun, fun, fun. Rachel's coming with me, don't worry.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

I love those pictures! I'm amazed at how much Rachel looks like Mama from the back, especially with her short hair there. Good luck in Houston tomorrow--I'm really, really glad that Rachel is there to be your full-time assistant. I love you!

Kelly said...

I love the hats with the visors best. You've got quite a selection. I hope your trip to Houston goes well. That finger looks painful! Ouch!! It's nice you have such sweet sisters. You all look alike too.

Fernando Solis Eguiza said...

El NiƱo Y Tu Pilin