Saturday, February 02, 2008

Romney and McCain

I wrote out a post about my annoyance with politics and the media which I will post above. I had originally included this bit about McCain and Romney but decided to separate it out. I think what I say above should probably ring true to most people, regardless of what they think about McCain vs. Romney.

I think that the media has wanted Anyone-But-Romney ever since he emerged as one of the front-runners. In my opinion it is because he would be by far the most formidible candidate, and the left-leaning media does NOT want that, since he is also by miles and miles the most conservative candidate still on the ballot. I knew, just KNEW what was going to happen if McCain won Florida, and I have been exactly right. And it absolutely, positively ENFURIATES me. I knew that if he won Florida, no matter how close it was, the media would be saying, "Finally, a front-runner has emerged in the GOP primaries. It's been neck-and-neck thus far, but now it looks like we've got our guy." This bugs me so incredibly much. The media has absolutely ignored every primary Romney has won. Some attention was given to Michigan, but as soon as he won, the spin was that of course he was going to take his home state (as if it had always been a foregone conclusion which is so far from the truth). No mention was ever made, it seemed, of the fact that Romney had far more delegates than any other candidate for several weeks. Why was there no "front-runner" then? But NOW, even though McCain didn't win by that much, HE is the OBVIOUS front-runner. Ok, whatever. If Florida wasn't a winner-take-all state, Romney would *still* be ahead!

The media has now crowned McCain as the inevitable winner of the GOP primaries, and sadly that's probably exactly what will happen. He's got the name recognition, the media will only play the most flattering sound-bites, and everything said or written about him will be sloberingly positive and stupid Americans will follow like sheep. They won't know anything about him, they won't remember any of the really terrible decisions and bills he's been a part of. The main-stream media will conveniently forget to mention any of that stuff. They'll only see his big smile and remember that he was a war hero, and that will be it.

McCain won't win the national election. I don't even think it will be close. Real conservatives can't stand the guy. And there aren't that many die-hard moderate independents out there to secure a win. There's too much negative stuff out there that will be paraded out only AFTER he wins the GOP primary. That's another thing that's so pathetic. The media is slobering over him *now,* just long enough to make sure he's the candidate. But from then on it will be a totally different story. And, sadly, that's probably ok with me. If he's the candidate it might actually be better for America in the long-run for the Democrat to win. And I've never thought that before. I've always thought you have to choose the lesser of two evils. But I don't know this time. I don't trust McCain. I suppose I'll have to wait and see who the candidates are and how things look in November, but I might just stay home.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I totally agree with you here, Gabby. It's so annoying! It is so obvious to me, and I am just as frustrated by it.

Unknown said...

I totally agree. I'm also ticked that five states get to pick the nominee for the rest of us before we even get to vote! Why is Florida so special? And why isn't it a close race when Romney is only 4 delegate votes behind McCain the day before super tuesday!? I hope America wakes up, but I think the media is really spinning this so they can get a completely unelectable guy as the republican nominee!