Monday, February 25, 2008

Moral Dilemmas

This is a quick one since I'm so tired and have to go to bed. (Well, quick for me anyway).

So Brigham got invited to another birthday party, the third one this year, and also the third one held ON SUNDAY!!! I'm so sad. It would have been really REALLY fun for him, too, because it's being held at the InnerSpace Caverns (really neat caves up in Georgetown). He was so excited to get the invitation, he opened it up, saw it was on Sunday, and his eyes just filled up with tears. My heart about broke for him. I held him on my lap and kissed him and told him Heavenly Father was so happy and proud of him for making big sacrifices for keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Grrr. Why does that have to happen to my sweet little guy?!

And here's another moral dilemma (well, the previous wasn't really a dilemma, at least not for us), this one involving Joseph. The elementary school holds a silent auction each year as their big humongous fund raiser. Each class puts together a big basket of stuff (each class comes up with a theme, or at least, the classroom mom does), and the kids all bring in $5 towards the basket. So I just got an email from the classroom mom, with a picture of the basket she put together. Here's what it says on the outside: "TAKE HOME YOUR OWN MARGARITAVILLE CHILL PILL! Just add ice and wash away your worries with: Tequila, Margarita Mix, Shaker, and Salt, Chips, Queso, and Salsa, Pitcher, Glasses, and Napkins. Mrs. Martinez's first grade class."
Hmm, interesting choice of theme for a FIRST GRADE CLASS, isn't it? So I guess I just bought liquor for the first time in my life. At least, sort of. I suppose this isn't really a moral dilemma either, since I already paid my money. I'm not going to raise a stink about it now. I guess that's what I get for not being involved in the PTA.

Mosey got new shoes. I got so sick of the lace-up tennis shoes he has. He takes them off every chance he gets, so I have to put them back on him again several times a day. And when he takes them off, he doesn't know how to undo the double bows, and so the laces end up in big knots that I have to undo before I can get them on him again. So we got some really cool light-up velcro shoes at Walmart.
This morning he was belly-aching about going to preschool ("I'm not GOING to preschool today, mom!"), which he does every once in a while. We went back and forth about it for a few minutes, and then I finally said, "Hey Mosey, you have to go to preschool because you need to show your teacher and your friends your really cool new light-up shoes!" He immediately said, "Ok!" and ran and got his shoes and asked to get dressed right then. It was about 7:45 and he said, "I think it's time to go to school now." I told him school didn't start till 9:00, but we could leave in about an hour. Then he said, "I am going to go into the kitchen and look at the clock and then I'll tell you when it is 9:00." LOL No, he didn't stand there looking at the clock for the next hour and 15 minutes, but it was pretty cute how eager he was to go to school, just for the chance to show off his new shoes. Should I worry that Mosey is getting a bit too vain and materialistic? LOL

I'm calling my doctor tomorrow for steroids for sure. I've been putting it off because I just don't wanna go down that road again. I'm now in the wheelchair 75% of the day, which is very inconvenient, to say the least (I cut all the boys' hair today, including Ben's, and had stay seated and have them sort of maneuver around in front of me. It was really difficult. Cutting hair should not be a workout. But try doing it without being able to move around the person whose hair you are cutting. My back and shoulders are aching).
But I can tolerate inconvenience, and if it were just the walking, I'd probably hold off longer. What I can't tolerate, though, is not being able to drive, and today it was noticeably awkward and difficult to get my foot back and forth from the gas to the brake. Difficult and not too safe. So I'll be getting back on the Solumedrol band wagon I guess. I made it 2 1/2 months this time, so maybe I'll make it to my transplant on this dose. I'll ask Dr. Tallman to give me another tapering dose of Prednisone as well, since I think that did give me 2-3 extra weeks this last time.
I definitely won't be in the hospital, so don't worry. My legs are giving me lots of nonsense, but my breathing is pretty good, so I still feel like I'm doing a lot better than I was at the end of last November. I'll be getting a Hickman Catheter (central line into my chest) for the transplant and all the stuff before-hand, and I kind of wish I could just have it now! It is quite annoying to have an IV sticking out of your arm for 5 days while you're trying to go about your normal daily routine with kids and everything. And last time it clotted up just before my LAST dose, and the home nurse had to come back and start ANOTHER IV just for the last dose. >:-/
Sorry I'm so whiny. Seriously, I do realize how fortunate I am to be able to get treatment when I need it, and I am very grateful.

Ok, off to bed for me.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Gabby. I'm sorry to hear you're not getting around as easily. What a bummer.

That's the lamest idea for a 1st grade theme basket. What was she thinking?

The shoes story was so cute.

StrykerLOVE said...

Yea! I am so glad you came over to visit and I finally got your blog address... So are you at home? When you say IV in your hand it makes me think hospital but maybe you are such a pro and needles by now you can do that stuff yourself. I am amazed at your pictures. I went to your photo site and wished so bad I could hire you right now. Not only are we in desperate need of family picture but some family picture that make us look good. I am grateful to Ben for all the email 'updates' he's been sending but now I can come and 'see' you more often. Hooray and hope all that stuff works until you get to your study. (No worries - spelling is usually a creative art for me.)

Gabrielle said...

Hey Whitney!
No, I'm not in the hospital, I'm doing the steroids at home this time, since I'm not that bad off. They just send over a home nurse to start the IV, and I hook it up myself every day. Just till Sunday, then I can take it out.
It works pretty fast, and I can already feel some small improvement, which is really nice.
I hope your kids are turning the corner on the illness!