Monday, January 06, 2014

01/05/2014

One more day!  One more day of vacation until everything begins again.  It's been a good vacation.
Tomorrow I need to organize the papers on my desk and get school things in order.  And get the boys to practice.  I think I've enjoyed the time off from nagging about practicing more than anything else!
We had a good weekend.  On Saturday I stained and varnished the desktop and table legs that the boys sanded for Ben's birthday.  And worked on taking down Christmas.  I always get a little sad taking down Christmas decorations.  There is such anticipation and excitement in putting them up, and taking them down there is only the knowledge that real life has to begin again.  :-)  Can it be Christmas all year long?  :-)
Today was church as usual.  As we were getting ready I had to have another talk with Mosey about the importance of wearing socks with his church shoes.  :-)  "But why, mom?"  Basically, so that people don't think I'm a totally negligent mother, failing to teach my children basic civilized behavior such as sock-wearing.  I meant to get the boys all new suits this Christmas as well, but it didn't happen.  Maybe tomorrow?  A few weeks ago a woman in our ward who is a talented seamstress cornered me and said, "I hope you are not offended if I ask you this, but would you like me to take down your sons' suit pants?"  I wasn't offended, but was a little embarrassed.  I told her they were getting new suits at Christmas, so I guess I really should get that done.  Joseph at least will wear socks to church every week, but about half the time he's wearing white socks with his dark grey suit and black church shoes.  The funny thing was that very morning I had gotten after him about wearing white socks with his suit.  I also didn't understand why it was a big deal, and again, the answer mostly is so that people don't think I'm a negligent mother.  :-)  Joseph doesn't really find that a very motivating reason, so really, new suits are definitely in order.  :-)
I'm still really not liking the 2:30-5:30 church time.  It seems like I should be able to get things done before church, but I really don't.  I stay up too late the night before, then sleep in too late, and don't get up in time to accomplish anything meaningful.  And when we get home, it's a scramble to get dinner made and then it is night!  I hope I figure out how to be more productive.  Brigham is my morning person, getting up early almost every day and taking the dog out on a jog.  Maybe I need to get him to wake me up.
Tonight Jupiter is the closest it will be to earth all this year, and it is directly opposite the sun, so it is also very bright.  We brought out Joseph's star-gazing binoculars to look at Jupiter, braving the 37 degree cold outside.  We are such wimps.  :-)  The binoculars were not powerful enough to see any particular detail on the planet, but it was still very discernibly a planet as opposed to a pinpoint star.  Pretty cool!
OK, I will close with some pictures of Rachel's cute kids from our reunion.









No comments: