Tuesday, August 27, 2013

1st days of school


Yesterday was our first day of school.  It was kind of a mixed bag.  I am doing a new curriculum this year-- well, actually going back to an old curriculum, but it is still new because essentially it is a do-it-yourself curriculum in which I purchase all the books and develop all of my own lesson plans.  I think it will be great, but I have been so, so busy that I am not as prepared as I should be.  I thought about waiting a week, but figured there was no harm in starting now, it's not the end of the world if all my ducks are not in a row and we end up making adjustments as we go along.
Anyway, the first half of the day yesterday went surprisingly well.  The last half, not quite as stellar.  A couple of meltdowns from a couple of my boys, and I was feeling discouraged.
But, today went much, much better.  After a couple of heart-to-hearts with various children, it went very well.
Tuesday/Thursday will be science days, and we started off the day by breaking open a chemistry kit I bought online, assembling our alcohol burner, and unpacking some test tubes and other equipment.  We then spent the next 45 minutes satiating my boys' innate pyromaniac tendencies while ostensibly doing some "science."  Science reports were written, so I guess it counts.  :-)
Today was also the first day of seminary.  I was up way too late, of course, as I kept remembering last-minute things that I needed to do.  And then I was paranoid about sleeping in, so I woke up every single hour on the hour.  Oh, well.  At least I did not sleep in.  And I think the first day went well.  It's so hard to judge my own performance.  I will have two sessions-- an early class at 5:40 AM-- yes 5:40 in the morning, and a later class at 7:00.  I have some good ideas for how to do things differently this year, and I hope I can pull it off.

No comments: