Tuesday, June 18, 2013

06/16/2013

OK, I'm waiting for my long, unscheduled summer days when I can sit down and read a book for a couple of hours at a time.  It's not happening yet.
This morning I got Mosey up at 6:15 so he could eat breakfast, get dressed, and head off to Cub Scout camp at 6:50.  Then I was off to the grocery store, then home again to get the big boys ready for their tennis camp.  They had tennis from 8:30-10:00.  After dropping them off I did the watering outside and then some chores inside.  I did practice my violin for about 15 minutes or so before the boys came home, the only personal thing I did all day.  Then I helped Brigham with his practicing and schoolwork, and tried to supervise Joseph with his, only to find him collapsed on his bed, sound asleep.  I found out he stayed up ALL NIGHT last night!  Aargh!  Then I cleaned the kitchen, got the dishwasher going, installed two battery charger/vacuum holders so I can hang up our Quick-up vacuums in the rooms in which they will be used, instead of stashing them in the laundry room. And then Brigham helped me make a batch of mini cheesecakes for my seminary students.  After that I took Brigham to the library, and then to the grocery store again for a few more items I had forgotten this morning. Then home again to wake up Joseph, make one more batch of mini cheesecakes, and supervise Joseph getting dinner ready.  After the boys ate they came with me to deliver the cheesecakes and my Book of Mormon reading challenge (I'm challenging all the kids to read the whole Book of Mormon this summer-- I will take anyone who completes it out to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory-- hence the cheesecakes) to my seminary students.  Then home again to watch Lost before getting the kids in bed again, the kitchen cleaned (again), the lizards fed and medicated (T-Rex is still on antibiotics), and my computer de-bugged.  Well, Ben did that part and I helped watched.  And now it is 12:04 AM and I have to wake up early again to get Mosey off to Cub Scout camp.
Tomorrow we've got piano lessons in the morning for Brigham and Joseph, and flute for Joseph in the afternoon.  I hope it feels a little less busy!
Other notes from the day:
Mosey loved Cub Scout camp.  BB guns, archery, and canoeing-- what boy could ask for anything more?
When Joseph told me he stayed up all night, I responded exactly in the wrong way.  Man, I wish I had a rewind button sometimes.  He told me he laid in bed for a really long time-- until 2:00 AM, and then gave up and got up to work on the story/book he is writing.  I immediately got upset and told him how bad staying up all night is for his body and how he MUST get more sleep and how he ought to have done this and that and the other thing instead of what he did.  Which is going to do nothing except make him less likely to tell me anything.  I should have instead asked myself *why* he was even telling me.  Was it so that I could get on his case about it?  Probably not.  I should have been sympathetic and told him how sorry I was that he had trouble sleeping, how I have insomnia sometimes, too, and know how frustrating it is.  I should have told him I was glad he worked on his story instead of playing computer games.  I should have asked him what I can do to help him sleep better, instead of jumping all over him and telling him what he should have done.  Ugh.
Joseph, if you're reading this, I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have gotten mad at you.  And I'm certainly the pot calling the kettle black when I get annoyed with my children for staying up too late.  :-)
OK, I'll end with a picture of Brigham that I took Sunday afternoon.  I enjoyed hanging out with just him this afternoon.  He is a cool kid.

No comments: