Thursday, June 06, 2013

06/05/2013

Brigham and Mosey did a surprise dinner tonight.  This is my genius plan-- I am so, so sick of making dinners.  Sometimes I try to pass it off to Ben, but his solution is always to make peanut butter sandwiches or eat cereal.  So instead I asked the boys if they wanted to be in charge of a mystery dinner that they could plan for, shop, and prepare all themselves.  And they did it!  Joseph was finishing schoolwork, so Mosey and Brigham huddled in the playroom making their game plan.  Then I took them to the grocery store where I went around and did my normal shopping, and they went around and did theirs.  I gave them cash so I couldn't see what they were buying.  Then we went home, and the boys unloaded and put away ALL the groceries by THEMSELVES so that I wouldn't see what they purchased.  I lay on my bed for 20 minutes until they hollered for everyone to come and eat, and here is what we found:

The bought two different kinds of freshly baked bakery bread which they sliced themselves, roast beef, ham, cheese slices, sausage, pepperoni, and lettuce for sandwiches.  They had plates laid out nicely, and then an ice cream sundae bar on the other side of the island:  Oreos ("Double-stuffed, mom, they were the same price as the regular!"), cherries, strawberries, rasberries, skittles, Reeces Pieces, strawberry sauce, hot fudge sauce, and chocolate shell sauce.  Now that is quite a spread.
I happened to see their shopping list as I was cleaning up after dinner.  They told me as they were shopping they decided not to get a lot of things on their list, and I could see that was true.  Items for sandwiches they did not buy:  bacon, chicken, peppers, onions.  Items for ice cream bar they did not buy: sprinkles, cookie dough, yogurt, marshmallows, m&ms, jelly bellies, and "what's it called" cookies (I'll have to ask them about that one).  You can tell my kids take their desserts very seriously around here.
I think I'm going to make mystery dinners a regular occurrence around here!

1 comment:

Naomi said...

That's awesome--what a fabulous and elegant solution to a vexing problem :).