Saturday, December 03, 2011

Annie!

The boys and I watched Annie tonight.  It was so fun.  Except when Joseph started talking about "all those old-fashioned movies when you were a kid."  What?!  The movies I watched as a kid are old fashioned now?  Well, I guess so, but still, ouch.  Anyway, watching it brought back such vivid memories of my childhood.  It was one of the first movies I saw in the theater.  E.T. might have been the first-- they came out the same year.  I remember going to see Annie for a birthday party for a little girl in my class.  And then we got the record and my sisters and I spent many hours dancing to all the songs from Annie, and looking at the pictures from the movie in the cool record album that opened up with pages of pictures inside.
The inspiration for this movie night was another dog that we're dog-sitting, named Sandy!  This Sandy is a girl dog, however.  She's a sweet thing.  This dog-sitting business is getting good for the boys!

This morning the boys and I went to the dentist for our 6 month checkup.  Every time I schedule the next appointment, 6 months in the future seems like suuuuuch a long time.  And then it's here before I know it.  No cavities for anyone today, happily, although both Joseph AND Brigham have been recommended for an orthodontics workup.  I've known that Joseph has some orthodontic work in his future due to a lower jaw he inherited from his dad, but I hoped Brigham would be spared.  Alas, I see orthodontist bills in our future.  :-)

Mosey tested for his green belt tonight.  I know he was a little worried.  He wanted to review one of the forms they do, but we couldn't find anything online, and the quick warm-up they did before the testing wasn't very helpful for him.  I think he did well-- he did forget one of the things they did, but I don't know how much that will count against him.  One thing that did happen was that at the end of one of his forms (I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology here), instead of holding the position, he ran back to his spot on the floor.  One of the judges called him on that and told him to go back to his end position.  I could see Mosey deflate right there.  It is embarrassing to get called out in front of a lot of people, especially for someone like Mosey who prides himself in being good at everything he does.  For better or worse.  Anyway, for the rest of the testing I could see his expression-- the slightly hurt, slightly sullen expression that told me he was sort of emotionally checking out of the whole thing.  I remember being horrendously embarrassed whenever I was called out on ANYTHING in front of other people, even something very small like talking to my neighbor in class, so I feel for him.  He's got to learn to keep it together, though, and redouble his effort to be even more professional and on top of things than he was before, instead of checking out.  I guess these are hard lessons for 7 year olds, though, and he's got time left to learn them.  I hope he passes.  He's really enjoyed Tae Kwon Do and I'd like to keep it that way.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Annie was my favorite movie as a little girl! Haven't seen it for a long time, but I bet Katelin would love it.