Thursday, July 07, 2011

Lazy summer day

Today was a pretty great day.  We woke up, ate breakfast, Mosey and Brigham played through their violin songs, and we went to violin lessons.  (Brigham did great.  Mosey is a squirrel.  He played so beautifully at home, but once we were at lessons?  I don't know what gets into that kid!  After the first song, the teacher said, "Let me guess-- I asked you to play the one song you didn't practice, right?"  I said, "NO, he practiced this song!  He sounds awesome at home!"  He's allergic to the violin teacher or something.  More like his teacher's two cocker spaniels are too interesting for Mosey to focus fully on violin.)  We went home, stopped at Crown Donuts where Brigham got an apple fritter (squirrels don't earn donuts at violin lessons, unfortunately), and then home.  I thought about launching into piano practicing, and then decided to play hooky for the rest of the day instead. 
Instead, the boys played Othello and chess.  They changed into matching clothes (all 3 of them!) and tried to get me to call them by each other's names.  We went swimming with our homeschool friends in the afternoon.  Joseph ate a chocolate fudge popsicle and then painted eyebrows and a handlebar mustache on his face with the melting chocolate (where's my camera when I need it?).  In the evening, Joseph and Mosey went to Tae Kwon Do (Brigham came and sat next to me reading a book), and then we came home and ate leftovers for dinner and played games all evening.  Ben is teaching Mosey to play Othello.  The rules are simple, but the strategy isn't so easy.  Mosey didn't want Ben to help him, and Ben didn't hold back.  Mosey lost, but I think he felt proud of himself for doing pretty well against his dad.  We played Set and Scrabble Slam, and then ate watermelon until bed time. 
I think I need to schedule in one hooky day a week.  It was great.

No comments: