Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mister, Mister, Mister

Mister is the Houdini of dogs.  I don't know how he does it, or why, but he manages to escape our house and yard despite all of our best efforts.  He never goes far-- he just takes himself on a walk around our neighborhood.  I've never had to go out driving looking for him for longer than about 5 minutes.  I'll find him just loping along the sidewalk sniffing around and doing doggy stuff.  He escaped a couple of weeks ago during a torrential downpour.  We got in the van looking for him, and found him walking cheerfully down the street utterly soaking wet. 
Well, yesterday he managed to escape again.  I have no idea how.  Both backyard gates were closed tight.  I think he must have squeezed out when Mosey went out the front door to get the mail, or maybe when we opened the garage door backing out on our way to the dentist.  Either way, he got out.  We finished up at the dentist office (pretty uneventful in spite of Joseph's fears-- he was very nervous for some reason.  He was sure he had a cavity and that the dentist would yell at him.  Well, he didn't, and the dentist didn't yell.  He's never been reprimanded at the dentist's, so I'm not sure where this fear comes from.  Maybe underlying guilt about not brushing enough?  Mosey does have one little cavity which doesn't surprise me since he is a sugar fiend-- he's finished almost all his Halloween candy while his brothers have most of their still left.), and went to the Bank (very aggravating-- someone got my debit card number somehow and tried to make several hundred dollars of online purchases last weekend.  Luckily Bank of America spotted the unusual activity and suspended the transactions.  Now I have to get a new debit card and change every single one of my automatic payments.  Grr.  The BofA person on the phone told me I could go to any bank to get a temporary replacement card.  Turns out, though, that Texas is in a different region than Florida, where we opened the account, and temporary cards can only be issued in the region of origin.  The only way to get our accounts transferred to Texas accounts is to close them all down and open new accounts.  Ridiculous.  So I went all the way into the bank, waited for 25 minutes to talk to the person (why there was only ONE person working in the bank full of at least 6 offices is beyond me), only to find out that they couldn't help me and I have to wait the 2 weeks for my new card, which hadn't even been ordered yet.  You wouldn't think this is a big deal, but for me, it is.  The simple act of getting gas, for example, is made many times more difficult if I have to walk all the way into the gas station to pay cash, and then back to pump the gas, and then back and forth again to get change...), where I got a frantic call from Ben.  Animal Control had picked up our wandering dog, and were taking him all the way downtown to the animal center.  They could take him back home, but only if I were right there.  Well, I wasn't, and couldn't get back in time, and we ended up not being able to contact the animal control people in their van anyway.  I was very annoyed and not looking forward to the fee for springing him from doggy jail.  I was sure it would be at least $100.  So after horseback riding we drove down and picked up Ben from work and went to the Animal Center.  To our surprise and delight, we discovered that they 1) gave Mister his yearly shots (which he hadn't had yet), 2) microchipped him, 3) gave him a flea and tick treatment (Frontline is expensive!), 4) gave him new tags and a new collar (although only because they lost his), and 5) released him back to us for only $20.  What a deal!  That is WAY less than I would have paid at our vet's office.  Next time I need to take Mister in for his yearly vet visit, I'm going to have someone drop off a "stray" Mister at the Animal Center, and then we'll go pick him up in the evening with everything all done!  (Just kidding, but it's still tempting.)
So, an annoying event turned out well after all. 
We celebrated by going out to eat at Marie Callenders (Brigham's favorite restaurant), because, you know, 5 days before Thanksgiving is a GREAT time to get pie.  :-)

2 comments:

Mama said...

Oh, YUM! Marie Callendar pies! My stomach is growling just thinking about their lemon meringue :) All I can say is Mister is SO LUCKY to have the owners he has!!

Unknown said...

I had my home financed with Bank of America. I sent extra payments to be applied to principle (trying to pay off home early) No matter how I labeled payment slip, wrote on checks, and made several phone calls. It was posted incorrectly over and over. It took a lot of my time to get corrections each month. Corrections were then posted to account sometimes with a 2 week delay. I have sent complaints, but have had no resolutions. I spoke with Tiffany Stephenson Operations Consultant Office of the CEO and President Executive Customer Relations. I sent information she ask for, but instead of getting a resolution. My emails are now returned as undeliverable and phone calls are not returned. So just becareful and watch your account closely if you choose to use this bank. I learned the hard way. They are not interested in customer only the dollars.?






bank cd rates