Friday, October 15, 2010

Rewind: flood!

I'm trying, slowly, to go back through my photos from the last couple of months and organize them.  I found these pictures from about a month ago.  We had been in Target and heard a tremendous downpour-- loud enough that we heard it well inside the store.  Joseph and Mosey ran up to the front of the store and looked out the glass doors.  It was raining, and hard!  When we were done shopping and driving home, we were amazed to see a lot of water in the drainage systems around our neighborhood.  These look kind of like big, grassy river beds, and I'd never seen them filled up like that (although I'm sure they have been-- I'd just never been out driving immediately after a huge downpour).  We were on our way home and had to be on our way somewhere else shortly after that, although I can't remember where.  But the boys really wanted to go play in the water.  I almost said, "No, we'll go next time it rains," but then thought better of it.  This would be something the boys would remember, and it's good to be spontaneous sometimes!  So we went home and unloaded the groceries, and then made our way to one of these waterways.  The boys ran down and played in the water and I stood on the bridge overlooking where it crosses over the road.  By the time we got there, the water had subsided somewhat.  Before, there was whitewater!  It's good it had gone down a bit; I'm not sure how safe it would have been otherwise.


In this picture, you can see how high the water had been earlier-- see the line of leaves and debris on the left side of the river?  The water was at least up to there, probably another 18 inches deeper at least.



No comments: