Saturday, February 08, 2014

Finally! Sunshine!

This has been the weirdest winter in Austin since we've moved here.  I'm used to some pretty big fluctuations in temperature during the winter (I like it, actually, you never get bored!), but this has been ridiculous.  The schools have had 3 "snow" days (during which it has not actually snowed, but has gotten down to significantly below freezing), two of them this last week!  Made for a nice, easy week of teaching seminary, but I am 100% OVER the cold.  And yes, I realize I am 100% WIMP when it comes to cold weather.  I won't apologize for that.  There's a reason we moved to Texas!
But, this morning the sun has come out!  It is supposed to break 60!  Tomorrow will be in the 70's!  Hallelujah!  (Of course next week another cold front is supposed to come through, with highs in the 30's on Wednesday.)
Poor Christian, coming here expecting to leave the cold dreary winter well behind him in Provo.  Austin, you are not showing your best!
Speaking of Austin not showing it's best, here's a sad story.  Well, not too sad, but still.  The Friday after Christian got here, I went out to the garage to leave to get my hair cut, only to find that one of my back tires was utterly flat.  Luckily Ben was working from home, so Christian was able to drive me out to my appointment (I can't drive Ben's car because it doesn't have hand controls).  We were driving underneath I-35 out in Pflugerville, trying to turn left.  There is a double left-turn lane there and we were in the right-hand one, but Christian, this being literally the first time he has ever driven in Texas, didn't know this, and for a second thought he needed to move over to make the left turn.  So he moved ever-so-slightly to the left, perhaps our tires barely went over the line, before he realized he didn't need to move over, so he eased back across the line into our lane.  Apparently the big black Texas pickup truck behind us took great offense at this action, and started laying on his horn.  I have no idea why-- maybe he thought we were changing lanes and started accelerating to take our place, and then had to brake when we moved back over?  Possibly, but if so, he was driving recklessly because we had BARELY crossed the lane line.  Anyway he honked for a solid 10 seconds (which is a very, very long time when you really think about it), after which he moved into the left lane, slowed down, and sat RIGHT NEXT TO US as we drove down the road.  Christian and I were both looking straight ahead, refusing to acknowledge this jerk.  But we actually did need to move into the left lane to make a turn at the next light, so Christian slowed down enough to make the pickup truck move ahead of us, and then changed lanes.  I was about to warn Christian, but before I had the chance, sure enough, the guy slammed on his brakes, causing Christian to have to slam on his to avoid crashing.  What a piece of work!  But again, we refused to respond, and finally were able to get out from behind him as we moved into the left turn lane to make our turn.  As the guy went through the light ahead of us, he put his hand out the window and flipped us off until we couldn't see him anymore.
What the heck??!!
I kept apologizing to Christian the whole time, telling him this was NOT normal Texas driving!  I've found drivers here to be very polite compared to most other places I've lived here.  Texans in general are the most friendly people I've ever lived around (including Utah!).  This was so far out of the ordinary; I was truly appalled.  What are the chances that the VERY FIRST TIME Christian ever drives in Texas, he'll run across this piece of work?
But as we talked about it, I began to feel really sorry for this person.  This guy must have a really miserable life if something like an honest, simple, harmless driving error, something all of us have done many times, and which resulted in no harm whatsoever, could make him utterly lose it.  What kind of rage must he have in his heart all the time if this situation resulted in such an extreme overreaction?  Man, oh, man.  Welcome to Texas!

No comments: