Tuesday, October 15, 2013

a few things from last week

Here are a few noteworthy things from last week:

1.  On Friday Brigham and Joseph and Ben went on a scout campout.  It poured here, but they didn't get any rain where they were, so that was good.  Mosey and I had a quiet evening in.  He didn't even want to go get pizza or anything, so we ate cereal and sandwiches at home and just vegged for a while.  Mosey told me ALL about World of Tanks.  Well, not all about, since there is always more to tell.  But over the 18 hours or so that we were together, he probably talked about World of Tanks for about 2 hours straight.  He is so funny.  But I love that he loves to tell me about it, and that's what really matters.  On Saturday morning he came with me to the fabric store to get some fabric for his Halloween costume.  He wants to be King Tut.  I ordered a headpiece off Amazon, but we're sewing the rest of it.  He was extremely excited to help sew it himself, and did a great job Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening sewing all the long straight seams by himself.

2.  Brigham and I went to the symphony on Saturday night.  Couldn't get Mosey to go with us, which was too bad since it was a great concert.  But Brigham is a good date.  :-)  It was also ACL last weekend (Austin City Limits music festival), so downtown was a zoo, and the Long Center parking lot was completely filled up.  We got the last handicapped parking space up on the very top floor of the garage, and consequently spent AN HOUR sitting in a long line waiting to get out of the garage.  Seriously.  Then another 45 minutes getting through the downtown traffic and finally home.  We listened to an entire CD of Harry Potter book 3.  Thank goodness for Jim Dale and JK Rowling.

3.  It was just a musical weekend for Brigham and me.  Sunday afternoon was his Halloween violin recital.  He and I played a duet-- In the Hall of the Mountain King from the Peer Gynt Suite.  It was a really fun piece, and actually required a bit of practice on my part.  Brigham was worried I wouldn't be ready, but I was.  :-)  I thought the recital started at 2:00, so we left church an hour early, hoping to get there in time to run through it once before the recital started.  Well, it started at 1:00.  Oops.  We sneaked in the back, got our violins out, and were ready in time to be the very last performers of the recital.  I'm so glad we got there in time!  I would have felt so, so, so horrible to have missed it!  Anyway, it was fun and we played pretty well for 2 weeks of practice (well, really 2 days of practice for me), and absolutely zero prep time before the performance.  :-)

4.  A sign was posted at the empty lot up the street (our "forest") notifying of a hearing to rezone the property.  This is very bad news.  We're trying to learn more, but the phone number on the sign doesn't work-- it forwards you to another number that only has an answering machine which no one ever returns.  Ugh.  There is a big push to stop the rezoning of a bunch of empty lots around the golf course, too, which were supposed to remain green spaces for the community, but which now the country club wants to sell to developers.  It looks like their protest is going to work, which is great.  I'm not sure we have as much standing to protest, but we'll see.  It makes me sick to think of that beautiful land being plowed under for "garden homes" or apartments.  It would be horrible for traffic, and awful for the feel of our wonderful quiet little neighborhood.  Maybe we can find some endangered animal that lives there?  :-)  Anyway, on Sunday night we went to a neighborhood gathering to sign a petition against the rezoning of the golf course lots, and picked the brain of the lady who is spearheading that effort.  She gave us some good information.  I wish I had more time to devote to that.

No comments: