Monday, August 16, 2010

I should be home by now

For everyone who has been wondering, we have been on vacation in California!! The boys left July 17, and I spent the next few days madly finishing some extra-exciting projects like organizing and binder-ing all the boys' school work from the past 6 months, and culling and organizing all my files and the massive pile of "to-be-filed" papers that has been accumulating for a period of time so shamefully long that I will not disclose what it was! I flew out to L.A. on July 23rd, and stayed at my parents' house in La Canada along with my older sister and her four kids, my younger sister Eva, and my younger brother Benjamin even came down from Utah for the weekend. It was great! On July 28th, Ben flew out to L.A., and the next day we embarked on our grand California adventure. It was fabulous and wonderful in every way and I can't believe it is over. I kept a chronicle of all we did each day and it is more than 16 pages single-spaced 11 point font. Yikes. Anyway, our flight home was supposed to be today, but I set a new bar for stupidity and got the time of our flight utterly and completely and horribly wrong. I actually realized my mistake at just about the exact minute our flight was taking off. You know that awful, horrible sinking feeling when you realize you've goofed big time? I hate that. And it is costing us a very pretty penny to undo my mistake. Ben flew out this afternoon because he HAS to be at work tomorrow, and the boys and I will fly out early tomorrow morning. Ugh. What a stupid way to end such a great vacation! But, that's the way it goes and I guess I'm doing my bit in stimulating the economy by buying double the tickets for the five of us to fly home from L.A. to Austin.
Anyway, when I get home I will have to attack the email I've let accumulate over the past few weeks (I've taken a vacation from everything), and then start going through the hundreds of pictures I took. It'll be fun!
So, we're all still alive and kicking, in case anyone was worried. :-)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

What a bummer about the flight time/day mixup. That is such a drag. I'm glad you had a nice time though.

Anonymous said...

you're right - we were worried- glad to have you back

Anonymous said...

I have done that!!! I flew ALL the kids to the wrong airport for our cruise and even though I tried every creative thing I could think of had to buy all new tickets so they could make the cruise still!!! both ways too since they had to be back at college and the time was tight!! I feel for you!