Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Quiet, quiet house

I am sitting alone in my house, nothing but the sound of my clicking keyboard to keep me company (how's that for alliteration!).
My boys left Saturday morning for a week at "Grandma Camp."
It is the first time in my life as a mother that I have spent a night at home without my boys (the hospital doesn't count).
My baby sister Eva, 15 years old now, came for the week last week to be my assistant, and then flew with the boys to my mom's house in LA on Saturday. The boys were SO excited, just giddy the night before, to the point where I doubted they would fall asleep! They were so worried about oversleeping, they brought an alarm clock upstairs, and then woke up an hour earlier than they needed to. :-)
They were excited and eager to get onto that plane, but I admit to not having the same feelings. It made my stomach sink to see my 3 boys disappearing down the jet-bridge to the plane. Ben and I waited by the window until the plane taxied away and then we went home to an awfully quiet house.
We celebrated our freedom by going to eat at the Melting Pot that night (very good, and veeeeeery expensive), and taking a long afternoon nap after church on Sunday.
This week I'm trying to get a bunch of projects done that have been piling up. We'll see how far I get.
My boys are having the time of their lives at my mom's house. Barbecues, swimming in the backyard pool, trips to the beach, camping up in the mountains, all sorts of fun.
I'll be flying out to LA on Monday morning to spend a few days in California, before flying home with the boys on the 15th.

4 comments:

Becca H. said...

Funny how, in the normal chaos of being a mom, you daydream about the possibility of a day ALONE, but when it comes, it often doesn't have quite the same magic you expected, 'cuz you miss those loud, boisterous, and totally wonderful kids?

Still, I hope you enjoy the peaceful quiet times, whether or not projects get done. :)

Anonymous said...

I am leaving for 4 days with only the baby, for a family reunion. I'm excited and dreading it at the same time. Leaving my kids! For 4 days! Did you cry...b'cause I think I'm gonna cry...when I'm not dancing with freedom.

Amy F said...

Wow... what a fun thing for them to do with Grandma. And what a Grandma. How many grandkids will be joining your boys?? And cute Eva. What a great Aunt.

I tell Paul about my dream of having the house all to myself for a few days in a row. Oh, the things I could accomplish! The projects! The organization that would seep from the cracks and corners of each room.

But it is true... a quiet house would only be bearable for so long. Enjoy the time you are getting... I'm excited about your CA trip and the reunion of your family.

And don't forget to tell us all about what you get done!!

Jill T said...

Grandma's camp...so fun. I'm excited to hear the details. I hope you enjoy your quiet time. And Eva is super aunt!