Saturday, July 28, 2007

It's raining it's pouring, the old man is snoring

I'm in a little better spirits after our bad news about the house. We're trying to look at it as if we have dodged a bullet. These people, well, mostly their lawyer, were awful and if the sale had gone through, it wouldn't have surprised me if they found other things to sue us over later. And I still do love my house and don't want it to go to awful people. I didn't adore my neighborhood, but I still wouldn't want to inflict those people on my neighbors. We think we're going to just get the stupid roof done-- take out loans to cover it if we have to, although there is a chance our insurance will pay, and try, try again. Ben wants to put it on the market for sale and/or rent. I still want to give it at least another month on the market after the roof is done because I really really want to sell it and not have to deal with renting. A few months ago I was thinking we should rent it out, but recently I've been feeling the burden of two mortgages, and even though we can pay for both houses, as long as Ben keeps his job, it doesn't seem to me to conform to the Prophet's exhortations to get out of debt. And last night I opened up the new Ensign and there's this whole section on preparedness, food storage, etc. There was a great quote that said something like we should all have food stored up for a year, and very little debt, but unfortunately most people do the reverse-- they have a year's worth of debt and very little food. That sounded too much like our situation. And last month there was a long article about getting your financial house in order. So anyway, I really would like to just get the house sold.
Enough about that blasted house!
We have had rain, rain, rain, nothing but rain. Enormous downpours several times a day, it seems. It's not that bad, as it is the kind of rain that pours tremendously and then clears up and the sun shines for a while before the next storm rolls in. But it means everything is WET outside. Our back lawn is like a lake when it rains. I believe this part of Texas has had the most rain in recorded history this summer. So weird that last year they were in a really bad drought. It is really nice to be in a house with a SOUND roof. Whenever it downpours I don't have to be looking up at the ceiling with trepidation, wondering if water's gonna start dripping through. I hear Utah's in a drought right now, so I guess next week when we're in Utah we'll get some dryer weather. Or maybe we'll bring the rain with us.
On Friday night the boys had their Tae Kwon Do graduation. They are now yellow belts! It was fun watching them. At the beginning they do warm ups and a series of exercises with all the students-- all age levels and belts. Brigham and Joseph are the 2nd to the youngest kids enrolled, and it is so funny to see them out there with all these big kids and adults. Joseph was quite distracted by them, maybe a bit intimidated, I'm not sure, and when it came to doing their hook-kicks, he started doing them with the wrong leg. He immediately realized he was kicking in the opposite direction as everyone else, but he didn't get that it was the wrong leg. So he started kicking his leg crossing it over his other leg. It was pretty funny. Joseph was excited to get his yellow belt and had to put it on immediately after the ceremony. They look so small out there, but when they're home, I can't believe how big they are getting! Joseph fell off the hammock a couple of weeks ago and hit his mouth on the deck. Now one of his two front teeth is loose and will probably fall out soon (I hope so anyway, cuz' it's also getting sort of grey after the fall), and then he'll look even more grown up.
Ok, that's enough for tonight. I had some stories of funny things the boys have said the last couple of days, but my mind has gone blank, so I'll have to write them down when I remember again.



Here are some pictures from the Tae Kwon Do graduation.


Brigham demonstrating his "spear hand" move during the yellow belt testing.


Brigham in his proper walking stance, showing the wedge block move.


Here is Joseph, very serious, after receiving his yellow belt, getting ready to "kin ye" (bow) to the audience.




Here are all the graduating students. The guy on the far left had just tested for his confirmed black belt, and he was so happy I thought he would start crying. Joseph and Brigham are just to the right of the instructor who is kneeling in the middle.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Congratulations on your little tae kwon doe grads.